Any fence sprayers worthwhile ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 70m of fencing (staggered 4x1 boards) that needs a repaint.
i last painted it with Wickes Fence & Shed paint …. Quite thixotropic, and strangely paint on purple, but dries dark brown. To be fair it lasts pretty well.
It takes a long time to hand paint, … and then repeat for other side of fence.

Are the airless paint sprayers for Fences any good ?
I don’t mean the hand pump Cuprinol things …. Tried one and useless.

Presume it would mean thinning paint to a particular viscosity.
Thinking of the most ‘professional’ airless machines, like this type:

Sponsored Links
Shame you don't get on with the Coprinol hand sprayer, I have used mine for a few years cover my fences two are 36 metes x 2 mt Both sides
Never had a problem always wash out sprayer with wash liquid and clean water after using.
I now use Fence life 5 year from Screwfix look out for their offer.

My Father bought one, tried it, no reliable spray pattern nozzle dripped a lot.
I looked at one this morning seemed to only mention using Cuprinol spray stain, which was nearly 3x price of Wickes own brand.
Can you use other treatments in the successfully?

My Father bought one, tried it, no reliable spray pattern nozzle dripped a lot.
I looked at one this morning seemed to only mention using Cuprinol spray stain, which was nearly 3x price of Wickes own brand.
Can you use other treatments in the successfully?
Ronseal ordinary and fence life --Cuprinol , both work in our Cuprinol sprayer.

Not tried wicks or Aldi or other makes of fence spray, I like to stick with what works for me don't want to have to respray.

Sponsored Links
Same reason I'm happy with Wickes wood treatment - lasts good 5 yaers

Seen the item I listed on offer lately, hence looking for anybody with experience of them.

I picked up one of these second hand for £30.

I use it to spray decking oil on external timbers. Works well .
Looking for a spare bottle I picked up another spray head unit complete for £20.

You can use a cheap hvlp around £80. I used duck back. I can do 13 panels with 2 coats in a day at an easy pace. Prepare ahead and tidy behind. Use a small roller and brush to snag up.

Attachments

• 20140410_140750_13762963794_o.jpg
    20140410_140750_13762963794_o.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 40
No I never.
It's got a thixotropic agent in so a good stir thins it. Run through vegetable net and spray. Will splatter a bit but dries fine. Just get it on. Lash it on tbh.
Really don't need to atomize it as your not looking for a flawless finish.

Edit. Thinking about it I did add a splash of water. Not much. About 5%
Was way thicker than recommend and would not go through the ford viscosity cup

This is why I am thinking a good airless may be better on thicker paints.
Now water based so thinning is easier.

No, spraying outside is a bad idea, it gets everywhere.

Some idiots next door to a friend of mine sprayed their fences. What they didn't know was, as it was airborne, they also sprayed my friends patio doors and garden furniture.

That was a very expensive mistake for them.

Some idiots next door to a friend of mine sprayed their fences. What they didn't know was, as it was airborne, they also sprayed my friends patio doors and garden furniture.

Just choose right weather and it’s fine .

My Dad was a French polisher so used to spray a lot of furniture throughout his career. He taught me that spraying outside is an absolute no-no.

I remember stripping a Raleigh push bike and spraying it pink for a girl I was trying to impress -- I'd picked a sunny day to do it outside and was really impressed with my work. However, I got b*llcked for it and shown where all the pink dots had landed on nearby furniture, shrubs and fences. I couldn't see them until he'd pointed them out.

I think there is a lot of difference between compressed air and airless spraying. and also whether you are using HVLP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back