Any good ideas to make asbestos sampling easier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi anybody got any wizard suggestions for taking a sample of asbestos from a 45deg ceiling please (back of a staircase running up through the kitchen), I have done Artex etc, using a plastic bag taped up and getting a sharp chisel between the bag and ceiling or through the side of the bag, but while it all seems so simple when you start out there always seems to be a snag and some escapes!

I can do it the same way as before but thought I would pick some extra brains first.

Not sure if this may be AC or AIB because it is papered over and painted (which makes wetting a bit more difficult) therefore would really like to keep it as tight as possible so anyone out there go any really smart solutions they use?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
footprints, Hi.

Obvious BUT? how about using "wall paper paste" as a "wetting agent" and as a "dust preventer"?

Another possibility? ? how about using a "LARGE" clear poly bag? if large enough, you could Staple the bag to the slope, but put in two staples across the surface of the slope everywhere in effect you are creating a lip or flange of the Poly Bag against the slope.

If you leave a large enough space a "hand hole" can be formed on the up-Slope to allow for the obtaining of the Sample, could also be stapled up to ensure no escape?

It is possible that this will prevent "scatter" of any possible ACMs

Leave the Poly bag "contraption" in place for some time to allow the dust to settle.

You could then seal and then re-bag this large poly bag as the method of transportation.

Then guess what?

The sample comes back NAD?

Still better safe than sorry, especially given the potential prosecutions available to the H&SE via the courts.

Ken.

dont forget to wear a NASA approved spacemonkey suit and then have the house decontaminated by those guys who did elliots mums house in the movie E.T. ....or just hoover thoroughly afterwards and dont directly inhale anything-which is completely avoidable!

A simple tried and tested way to do it is to get a small tupperware box or similar, cut a small hole on one side large enough to get your chisel through, hold tight up to surface and scrape away your sample, transfer sample to your sample bag wipe out box with wet wipe and chuck that in with sample.
Done. Obviously do this with appropriate PPE and dont forget to seal sample point.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for posting I did manage to get the sample to day, just putting away the Kango now! :D

Actually I found a good sharp chisel with a soaking piece of kitchen towel held over it and squidged as I pushed in kept the area wet. With a plastic bag under and Mrs footprints holding a shallow cardboard box lined with plastic and newspaper underneath as a back up and somewhere to drop used paper towel into.

I have found that spraying with a garden sprayer first is ok till you break the surface but you need three hands to keep the fresh stuff wet.

In fact it looks like it might just be plasterboard which will be a right result, but I will send the sample off anyway as we have gone to all the trouble of dressing in monkey suits and masks and better safe than sorry anyway :D

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back