Asbestos use in private builds in the 1970s....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just bought a 1970s private build (George Wimpey homes I believe).

The facts of the property are as follows:

- Not sure of exact year of construction, the title is a bit confusing, but I believe it to be either 1972 or 1977.
- Property is of standard construction with brick and tiled roof, not a prefab or similar.

Does anyone know whether there is likely to be any asbestos within this property?

I am specifically looking at floor thermoplastic tiles, plasterboard/partitioning, and loft insulation.

The reason I ask is that I stripped up some of the thermoplastic tiles recently, and retrospectively discovered that they MAY have contained white asbestos (obviously any impact or otherwise this may have had is now no longer here nor there - it is done, even though I didnt use protection, ho hum).

This has made me question the other works I am intending to do, including knocking out two partition walls.

Due to the age of the property, and the fact it is a standard build, I am guessing that the chances are pretty unlikely that any walling or insulation contain asbestos - but perhaps I am wrong.

The ceilings are artexed (stipple effect) and I am going to assume that this does contain (low) levels of asbestos.

By the way, I am aware I could get someone in/send a sample to check, but trying to find an answer or some guidance without this.

In particular, I am aware that the thermoplastic tiles I have removed are very low risk (hence not overly bothered) - but I am also aware that AIB/insulation is very high risk so clearly dont want to sledgehammer it out if it could be!!!

I have asked GW to provide me with information regarding when they stopped using asbestos - but I am obviously expecting such information to be not forthcoming.

Sponsored Links
Just been through this with our mid-victorian terrace!!

We had a local company come in and took five samples for testing (costed approx £100)

Asbestos was commonly used in artex up until 1980 ish as well as floor / ceiling tiles.

We were advised by several companies of between £700 to £1100 per room to have asbestos removed - obviously if your house is covered in it then it can be a little expensive.

The HSE does have some info on removing it yourself (taking particular precautions) but the best bet will probabily be to paint over it to seal it in.

Obviously this only applies if there is any of course!!

Cheers for the reply.

My issue is that I'm planning to knock out two walls - dont obviously want to do this if it might be full of asbestos, so dont have the option of painting it in :)

I've got to say - it's really really difficult to find out any information on this!

In your 70's private build, typical asbestos locations will be

Soffits
Linings for bin stores and meter stores - cement sheet
Linings to heater cupboards and doors to heater cupboards - cement sheet
Textured coatings (low)
Floor tiles (normally 9" square ones) - low
Water tanks - cement sheet
Insulation in some warm air heater units - AIB or cement sheet

It is very unlikely that there will be asbestos in concealed places or within walls

Sponsored Links
Cheers woody..

The property had ducted air heating, so I assume that there may have been some asbestos sheet behind where that boiler stood....and where the pipes went(which unfortunately I now know not, as the previous owners removed that system).

Other than that, not planning to touch behind the meter cupboard, already done the floor tiles (oops!), knew about the artex, soffits and water tank (dont think there is one anyway).

That gives me something to go on - thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back