Asbestos fibres may have killed 'The Sex Pistol's', McLaren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren, is thought to have died from mesothelioma as a result of smashing up his punk design store, controversially named ‘Sex’, 30 years ago. He wanted the shop to look as though it had been hit by a bomb!

McLaren died in April 2010, aged 64, from the asbestos-related cancer mesothelioma. The store, from which he spawned British punk, was shared with his (at the time) partner designer Vivienne Westwood. During the store fit out he smashed up some asbestos sheeting, which may have resulted in exposure to the dangerous fibres for a number of years throughout the 1970’s.

Mesothelioma is a cancer of the lining of the lungs, caused through exposure to asbestos dust. From diagnosis the expected life expectancy is typically 18 months to 2 years.

Alison Day, CEO of Eurosafe UK commented, “In the 70’s there was little awareness of the risk from asbestos containing materials. Today individuals within the construction team are much better educated about the historical and extensive use of asbestos in buildings. It is imperative that any construction consultant advising novice clients, such as McLaren, are able to highlight the potential of asbestos being present in a property and the associated control measures to ensure the asbestos is dealt with safely.”

Sponsored Links
We are exposed to far more dangerous things in everyday life and in far greater quantity unfortunately.

Try alcohol, tobacco and drugs for starters. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
We are exposed to far more dangerous things in everyday life and in far greater quantity unfortunately.

I did in the 70`s :oops: and was around asbestos :eek: Now read my threads :cry: A warning to all young plumbers

I didn't realise until yesterday that smokers die first in a case of carbon monoxide poisoning where a smoker and non-smoker are in the same room together..

the average smoker has a carbon monoxide saturation of about 10% in their blood.... so they've got a head start.. :eek:

anyway.. getting back to the asbestos..
I'm signing up for an asbestos awareness course tomorrow... is it a hard course?
is it anything like the ECS site card course..?

I'm signing up for an asbestos awareness course tomorrow... is it a hard course?

the one day non licenced work one? it's mainly information about what can contain it, how far you can go with unlicenced work, the health risks and the laws related to working with it, the only hard thing is staying awake, i have to do it every 12 months

this week we were told everyone on our riddled site has to do the awareness course, all 2500 people :LOL: i can see the training company rubbing it's hands together allready

no it's a e-course.. looks like 10 "modules" to read through and a test at the end..

£35... can't argue at that really..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back