Asbestos Exposure, have I harmed myself - Serious Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just had my back boiler removed and as part of that there was a asbestos flue. That was removed and caused no problems. My plan has been to dismantle the old fireplace by taking it back to bare brick before building a stud wall around it for recessed TV etc. While removing the facing stone, I inadvertently exposed what you can see in the picture. I did this while hacking away with a crowbar at the stone and mortar. I'm 99% sure this is Asbestos Insulating Board. I'm know the dangers of asbestos in the form of Artex and Asbestos Cement etc, and that the risks are low if handled correctly. However I know that AIB has a much higher percentage of asbestos in, and the nasty blue or white stuff. I'm now concerned that I have released fibres of that stuff into the air and breathed it in. The edge of the board isn't too damaged but it is crumbly in places and would have been pulled apart when pulling the mortar off it, presumably showering the air with the fibres.

Basically, i'm cra**ing myself that i've gone and done something bad to myself and my other half. I know this is a bit dramatic but can anyone shed some light on my situation? This is a serious question so please no silly answers, I genuinely don't know how bad this is.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
We have asbestos roofing on some sheds and we used to saw the stuff without dust masks.
Never bothered me then and doesn't bother me now.
Smoking a fag will do you more harm. And worrying about it even more.
Though I do use the dust mask now.

My worst experience with asbestos roofing was sitting on an apex roof and hammering all the J bolts out and then taking off down the roof on top of the sheet and down over the side. :(

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about the tiny amount of damage to the end of that white board I would say the damage is so small and when combined with other general dust there is virtually zero chance that sufficient fibre was released to do you any harm. What to do next? Would you describe the stuff as soft or hard? If soft, I would have a small piece analysed to see exactly what is in it and then take advice depending on the result. If it's hard, wet it down thoroughly and remove it carefully. Double bag it in poly and dispose in the asbestos bin at you local tip. Generally, spray it with water anyway just to stop it floating about.

Thanks.

The material is soft, crumbly. I have been keeping it wet while working in the area. As I am fairly confident it's asbestos containing, I was planning on covering the area with Mortar/quick set cement because it does not need to come out as the whole fireplace is being boxed in anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back