Asbestos? See pics

Sponsored Links
One other point, not to belittle asbestos, but the poor buggers who were affected were those drilling, sanding, installing day in day out for years....

Thanks newboy.

I get extremely anxious about asbestos - apparently a funny thing on this board. But I'm a mother with young children who had lost a close family member to mesothelioma.

The AIB was removed professionally and a certificate of reoccupation issued the previous week. Im thinking it's unlikely that any residual dust would have been together in such a big "clump" plus they're not needle like fibres which amosite is. Finally, the shoe (and its owner!) walked around a supermarket afterwards. Surely this would have broken long fibres up more and they would have dropped off the shoe?

Can you ring the company that did the work?

Or ring any one, some are pretty helpful -they might let you email them a pic

Sponsored Links
The AIB was removed professionally and a certificate of reoccupation issued the previous week

I would have thought that should reassure you.

With a full enclosure and post-removal procedures, the chance of ACMs still being present in any significant quantity are so remote as to not be worth even the smallest worry about.

There is rarely a week goes by without us having to deal with ACMs - I don't take the issue lightly but I don't loose sleep over it. Handled/managed properly, the risk is minimal.

Stop worrying about ACMs. :)

To how much asbestos, and for how long was your late family member exposed ?

It is probably an old wives tale but an asbestos surveyor told me years ago if you find something with fibres sticking out a quick test it to put a match to the fibres, usually they are some kind of glass fibre that just frizzles up, asbestos won't burn. The stuff in the picture looks like cat fur to me.

Raw asbestos might look like that, but not in a product like AIB or AC the fibres are held together with cement you would never get fibres that long out of either product. That would apply to any asbestos containing material that I can think of in a domestic house.
Asbestos released from dangerous products is in tiny particles even the largest would be only a few mm long, most are invisible to the naked eye.
You have answered your own question on the previous page time you walked around the supermarket any long asbestos fibres (if you somehow could attach them to your shoe) would have been broken up.;)
What you show looks rather like Kapok to me, the sort of thing you get in puffer jackets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back