How do I deal with asbestos in my house?

The other thing a lot of sparkles use these days is a clear plastic cup device which fits over a tank cutter (variable, large diameter hole cutter) powered by a drill. The cup catches 95% or more of the dust and some I've seen even have a dust extractor connection.

Neat idea about the shaving foam, Woody, I'd never have thought about that (maybe because I'm a lifelong "beardie")

Sponsored Links
One Asbestos Surveyor I met, used wall paper paste, the type you mix with water, he reckoned it was the cheapest possible option?? [It was Scotland after all?? No not Yorkshire] he mixed up a small volume of wall paper paste, and kept in a sealed container.

Ken.

Well the advice is often that the fibres won't become airborne if kept damp

Sponsored Links
fibres won't become airborne if kept damp

Totally agree.

Given that the "Asbestos" contained in the Artex is [at times] minute and Chrysotile is by far the least dangerous of this family of materials, as an aside, Chrysotile was at one time being considered as a candidate for removal from the danger list??

I worked for a Loss Adjuster who DEMANDED that if I was inspecting even a totally saturated property and saw Artex on the ceiling in a room I was not permitted to enter that room despite the water still dripping from the plasterboard.

What we need IMO is a considered approach to this material, I think that the exposure DANGER is being totally over played see my earlier post from Cancer Research UK

I have heard it said that this entire Artex "Thing" is driven by shall I call it Commercial interests fueled by the Insurance industry + Artex removal companies??

OK I am not saying Asbestos is not a dangerous material, in some of its forms it is a devastatingly dangerous material, but?

Where can we get un-biased true information on the risks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back