Suspect Asbestos exposure

As others have said, many of us (getting) oldies have been exposed to asbestos at one time or another - service ducts in many old hospitals I used to crawl around were subsequently sealed up as still containing residual asbestos, and were eventually knocked down (they had supposedly been cleaned and cleared but maybe not to a very high standard). You had masks on - we didn't. You'll be fine.

The question now is "what next" - If there is still some of the board around, spend £25-£30 having it tested so you know what you are dealing with. If it proves to be asbestos, the fact that it is broken insulation board means that it really should be cleaned up and disposed of by a licensed contractor.

A one-off exposure is extremely unlikely to be harmful to you, and you had a mask on so you should double be absolutely fine. It is continuous exposure over time that has proved to be dangerous, not an occasional contact. However, if it is asbestos you are going to want the peace of mind that it's all gone, so probably there is little choice but a professional clean up.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local