Suspect Asbestos exposure

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hi all,

last automn I was removing “gypsum” boards from the part of the wall. We are just before renovation of 300 years old house and I was opening plaster to check stone walls. Walls in one room was in 80’s covered with 1 cm thick “gypsum” boards. Directly on the stone wall was nailed wooden frame with a few cm thich empty spaces with foam. Boards were screwd directly on that frame.

When I taking board off the wall they breaking on smaller pieces. I take down a few boards. And clean the room.
I had two FFP2 masks on my face (one upon another).
Few days ago I talked with some guys about the wall and one of them ask me if I am sure that panels are not made from asbestos. I never before hear that panels can be made from asbestos. Next day I was go to the room and check material. Front sides are painted with white wall paint, inside of panels are grey and fluffy.
When I googled that, I found that this are probably asbestos insulation boards! When I saw that I become panicked and anxiety. The worst thing is that I read on Google that these panels dont have inside just white asbestos but also BROWN asbestos.
I am 27 years old. I feel so stupid that I do that! I am so scary and dont know what to do. I cant sleep for days, overthinking all the time. I had two FFP2 mask on face, but that mask dont protect from asbestos.
I have chest pain while writting this. I destroy my life…..

Sponsored Links
Don't panic. Go see a doctor for a scan if you are worried.
Probably not exposed enough to be a problem.

When I was you age and younger I occasionally worked with asbestos, got covered in the dust and never wore a mask - I'm now in my 60s, cycle over 5000 mile a year and fitter than most folk in their 20s. So don't panic

But saying that Asbestos is very dangerous and you should avoid it like the plague, it can and does kill people in a most unpleasant way, I have had an uncle and aunts who have died of it, it is not a good way to go. However two of them worked in an asbestos factory and the other was a lagger in the ship yards. They were working with it daily for decades.

Sponsored Links
Where were you googling?

They were most likely not asbestos board going by your description.
Thank you very much for reply. Here are photos of these boards.
I get scary everytime I saw these photos.

Attachments

• 9C6674AF-BBC1-48BC-932E-0487D15501B5.jpeg
    9C6674AF-BBC1-48BC-932E-0487D15501B5.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 79
  • 6473B4AC-BB50-4119-8483-905548BCE450.jpeg
    6473B4AC-BB50-4119-8483-905548BCE450.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 3A4FAAEB-6AD9-4EE2-A484-E7CD7DA6759C.jpeg
    3A4FAAEB-6AD9-4EE2-A484-E7CD7DA6759C.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 90
When I was you age and younger I occasionally worked with asbestos, got covered in the dust and never wore a mask - I'm now in my 60s, cycle over 5000 mile a year and fitter than most folk in their 20s. So don't panic

But saying that Asbestos is very dangerous and you should avoid it like the plague, it can and does kill people in a most unpleasant way, I have had an uncle and aunts who have died of it, it is not a good way to go. However two of them worked in an asbestos factory and the other was a lagger in the ship yards. They were working with it daily for decades.
Thank a lot for your answer. I read that white asbestos is not so much harmful than brown one. It is like 1:100 in their danger.
95% of all asbestos in products are white asbestos. But asbestos insultion boards have mix of white and brown asbestos.

Do anybody know if FFP2 mask protect at least a bit againt asbestos or it is like I was had no mask at all?

Thanks a lot

I have chest pain while writting this.

Too soon. It would not make you ill for many years.

You can send samples off for testing. I don't know your country but over here there are a number of laboratories who will send you a container to post sample scrapings in.

Too soon. It would not make you ill for many years.

You can send samples off for testing. I don't know your country but over here there are a number of laboratories who will send you a container to post sample scrapings in.
Thanks for answer. I was thinking more panic chest pain. I know that potential aesbestos related problems come after 40 years……

One exposure won't kill you.
We've all been exposed to asbestos at one point, but those who get sick have worked with it for years.
Don't worry about it but at the same time be more careful next time.

One exposure won't kill you.
We've all been exposed to asbestos at one point, but those who get sick have worked with it for years.
Don't worry about it but at the same time be more careful next time.
Thanks you very much for your comment. That gave me some hope!

I visited doctor today because other thing and told about asbestos expersure. And she told that if I had two FFP mask that there is not a big deal….. hope she is right.

I definitely wouldnt be over concerned about what you did...

Thanks you very much for your comment. That gave me some hope!

I visited doctor today because other thing and told about asbestos expersure. And she told that if I had two FFP mask that there is not a big deal….. hope she is right.
My grandparents lived near the now defunct eternit factory.
At the time they used filters that didn't really filter the asbestos fibres.
Most of the factory workers died of asbestos, but very few who lived nearby ever had problems.
It's the continuous exposure that causes problems.
The human body is pretty good at fighting one bad event.
Chill out, you won't die of asbestos related illness.

There was an asbestos factory near where my mother lived as a child, apparently they used to go and sledge on the snow mountain - LOL
my mother is late 80s and still fit and well

Take a look at the image in this photo where they used to live, in fact I lived next to it as a child but the area was fenced off by then, thankfully I never went sledging on the snow mountain. It must of blown about in the wind though

its bad stuff though, there was a lot of folk who couldn't breathe properly, I was aware of it as a child although no one knew at that time that it was definitely the asbestos!, used to remember my aunt in wheelchairs fag in one hand oxygen mask in the other, aunty could make a cigarette burst into flames if she blew

Thank a lot for your answer. I read that white asbestos is not so much harmful than brown one. It is like 1:100 in their danger.
95% of all asbestos in products are white asbestos. But asbestos insultion boards have mix of white and brown asbestos.

Do anybody know if FFP2 mask protect at least a bit againt asbestos or it is like I was had no mask at all?

Thanks a lot
Just to add my 2 cents, Its incorrect that the kind of asbestos is any less dangerous than another -It comes down to how friable the product is which contains the asbestos. Its true that highly friable materials tend to have a mix of other asbestos types within it, however an insulation board containing just white asbestos (chrysotile) is just as dangerous as the same product which contains brown asbestos (amosite).

Just to add my 2 cents, Its incorrect that the kind of asbestos is any less dangerous than another -It comes down to how friable the product is which contains the asbestos. Its true that highly friable materials tend to have a mix of other asbestos types within it, however an insulation board containing just white asbestos (chrysotile) is just as dangerous as the same product which contains brown asbestos (amosite).
Although it's fair to say amositr has long sharp fibres unlike chrysotile which are short fibres.

It's the long sharp fibres that can stick in the lungs and sit there until they trigger a body response

But as you say, it's the amount of asbestos in the product and how easily it releases that determines risk factor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back