any ideas of what to prime mdf with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have had some wardrobe doors made of mdf and now need to prime and paint them - what does anyone suggest to use to prime them with have got a wood primer can this be used?

and then have got a non drip satin white paint.

are these ok or do i need something else

please help

Sponsored Links
Not if it's oil based primer.

I tend to use dulux primer/undercoat or Jewsons MDF primer is quite good as well. As you will meed an undercoat after the primer the first option will be the best.

I apply with a foam mini roller & rub down between coats (especially the first) with 320grit paper.

Jason

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for replying - it is the dulux primer for wood so is that going to be ok to on the mdf doors.
i have crowns non drip satin paint to finish on top of whatever primer is suitable
please can you reply further
thanks

Jasonb said:
Not if it's oil based primer.

I tend to use dulux primer/undercoat or Jewsons MDF primer is quite good as well. As you will meed an undercoat after the primer the first option will be the best.

I apply with a foam mini roller & rub down between coats (especially the first) with 320grit paper.

Jason

If the primer you have is water based then the PVA method may work, personally I would use a Waterbased primer that is OK for use on MDF.

After the primer you should apply two undercoats (unless using eggshell which is self undercoating) you top coat should then go onto this, not straight onto the primer.

Jason

chez4000 said:
so with the wood primer ive got could i add some pva to that and use it?

NO!....dont mess with the paint like that...if they had intended PVA to go in the paint they would have put it in.

The waterbased stuff is ok....but can soak in very quick, if you have loads of moulding etc you could end up with fat edges

If they are like that i'd use oil based primer...thinned out a little.

If always found thinned out acrylic does the trick...

Watch out for the paint soaking into the surface to fast...if it does, and becomes hard to apply then thin it some more until its managable.

As jason said.....use a foam roller.....or anything thats very short pile......the soaking in problem can leave the surface looking like orange peel.

Zampa said:
chez4000 said:
so with the wood primer ive got could i add some pva to that and use it?

NO!....dont mess with the paint like that...if they had intended PVA to go in the paint they would have put it in.

I have never had problems using this method, PVA is a sealant at the end of the day and if its watered down there is no problem and the top coat takes ok.

The paint companies would rather charge you more for a 'special' paint. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back