Any ideas what this is please above the stop cock on cold water mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas what this is please, just above (downstream of) the stop cock on the incoming cold water mains? I was thinking an old stop tap with lever removed(?), or maybe an old style pressure reducing/regulating valve(?) There is some padding between the body of it to cushion it against the incoming hot water pipe.

Many thanks

This photo is looking from the top down behind a kitchen cupboard.
Capture 1 Highlighted.jpg

This photo just shows where it is located looking from the bottom up underneath the kitchen cupboard.
Capture 2 Highlighted.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A bleed valve to drain the system down I think. Should be a nozzle on it that you can stick a hose pipe on. Well, I have one on my heating system. Something like this.

09D28894-5702-43C5-9045-B4238233D643.jpeg

Thanks chaps, it didn't cross my mind there would be a drain point on the mains water. I've only ever seen them on central heating systems.

Sponsored Links
Maybe because your stopcock is soldered into the system instead of having a compression joint to release any water in the system?

Cheers. I'm looking to install a Pressure Reducing Valve, so may have to do away with the drain point. I wouldn't fancy using it as it looks very old. I also wouldn't mind replacing the stop cock as I avoid using this too due to age and potential leaks. I just shut the water off at the water meter outside my front door.

If you have a means of turning your water off in the street, it will be fairly easy to replace the stop cock (or maybe just the middle part of it) in the house. Always better to be able to isolate the supply easily in case of an emergency.

Water regs require a drain off there, although it would be much better if it was accessible

I also wouldn't mind replacing the stop cock as I avoid using this too due to age and potential leaks. I just shut the water off at the water meter outside my front door.

As suggested, shut it all off and replace it with a high quality full bore lever valve, at the same time you can re position everything so it is all accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back