Any issues using a combi boiler as a conventional boiler?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I'm getting quotes on new boilers. I'm moving from a conventional boiler + hot water + cold water tank. Ideally I'd like to get a combi and remove the hot water tank altogether but to do this requires a pump which pushes me over budget. One installer recommended getting a combi right now, they can plumb it up to work as a conventional boiler with my existing hot water tank, and in future I could add the pump and start using it to heat hot water when budget allows.

According to them there's no issue with this but basically looking for a second opinion here to make sure there are no downfalls. Any potential issues with this approach? I know barely anything about boilers so would appreciate some input!

Sponsored Links
'combi requires a pump' Odd- any more information on that? A combi boiler is an 'ordinary' boiler with some extra bits to flash-heat incoming cold tap water, it'll be fine with your cylinder.
What's your cold water flow and pressure (from the kitchen tap) like- if it's poor then a combi may not be the future.

Kitchen tap water pressure is not great (both my opinion and they mentioned it when surveying the site for boiler install). They mentioned needing a 2 bar pump that would sit between my cold water tank in the attic and the boiler

Sponsored Links
. Ideally I'd like to get a combi and remove the hot water tank altogether but to do this requires a pump which pushes me over budget.
Do you have poor incoming cold water supply flow rate and pressure, was the pump the installer mentioned to boost the incoming supply via a collector tank or accumulator ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Do you have poor incoming cold water supply flow rate and pressure, was the pump the installer mentioned to boost the incoming supply via a collector tank or accumulator ?

Flow rate seems to be 7l / min after measuring. I'm not sure on the difference between collector tank or accumulator, the suggestion is to use a pump between the attic cold water tank and the boiler and that's about the extent of my understanding right now :D

Flow rate seems to be 7l / min after measuring. I'm not sure on the difference between collector tank or accumulator, the suggestion is to use a pump between the attic cold water tank and the boiler and that's about the extent of my understanding right now :D
yes that would be allowed, they are simply using the existing CW Cistern as a collector, if your existing cold water supply is lead there is a very good chance you will get a grant to replace it so no pump needed

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
No issues doing the way they have described, especially if they use a certain Intergas model which can be setup in the boilers parameters (via the pcb) to change the boiler from one type to another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back