Any last minute advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok im finally finished boarding out my spare bedroom ceiling and walls, and am planning on plastering the ceiling this weekend, its my first ceiling so thought i would check here first for any wise words before, in an attempt to avoid any common mistakes. I was planning on working on 2 saw stools with a piece of wood between to give me the height, and im going to apply water to the board by brush to buy me some extra time when working on it.

Is there any areas in which i could make things easier for myself?

Sponsored Links
Have you plastered before? If no, cutting your teeth on a ceiling is almost certain to end in disaster & calling in a pro would make things a whole lot easier for yourself! If you’ve done walls before & are progressing to ceilings, in all probability you’ll end up with plaster all over the floor & yourself! I’ve been at it around 4 years & drop hardly anything at all now but I still let out a secret groan when ceilings are involved, they are hard work. You don’t say what size ceiling it is but if inexperienced, there is a big risk you’ll run out of time. The first couple of large ceilings I did in 2 hits & you can blend it all in so only minimal, if any, filling is required. When you’re finished your arm will also feel like it’s been ripped from your shoulder!

sorry should have mentioned, i have done quite a bit of plastering of walls, some quite decent sized to a reasonably good finish. The size of the ceiling is 3m x 2m which at first looked pretty small, but after doing some research im starting to think differently, im looking forward to having a crack at it as i suppose you'll never know if you don't try.

is there any particular direction i should be working on this ceiling? i know on a wall you may perhaps start from one corner and work across. may sound a little silly.

thanks for your comments Richard C its appreciated.

Which point you start from will depend on which is your strongest hand.

I have found it easiest to work across your body to start with, then as soon as you can you'll be working with the trowel your favoured side for the rest of the ceiling. I.e. I'm right handed so work left to right.

Whatever you do, work to one or the other side of your body as much as possible, not directly overhead - to stop the plaster landing on your head.

Also a decent pair of safety googles will stop the otherwise inevitable plaster in the eye scenario!

Sponsored Links
Keeping the "back of your trowel clean" when working overhead is also worth remembering as well,,,,,,,, to avoid an eyeful.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back