Replacing and Skimming kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I had a leak in my toilet 2 months ago which destroyed the plasterboard ceiling of the kitchen. I have now left the joists open to air and they have dried. I am planning to coat the joists and the the accessilble spaces within the void with anti mould treatment .

After this I plan to install new plasterboard and then skim the ceiling. I also wish to install recessed lighting - 9 units into the ceiling.

Is there something else I can do other than skimming the ceiling? I did skim a wall of our bedroom once and the plaster set too fast. Though the skim which is on the wall did stick, tt is very uneven and I am hoping I can avoid that with the ceiling(I didnt finish skimming yet) - is there something I can do to avoid the same error and also from stopping the skim setting too fast..

Danger wise, are there any steps I could take to avoid the plaster falling on my head and into my eyes....

I plan to do the following order:
1) Coat the joists with anti mould and let dry.
2) fix plaster board to joists with black plasterboard screws and then number the boards. Mark holes for lights. Also any ideas how I could prop up the plaster board while drilling it in?
3) Remove plasterboard and make holes for lights with hole saw.
4) put wiring in place for lights and fix the wiring to joists.
5) fix plaster board back to joists as as per number
6) Skim.
7) Paint

Any ideas how much time I would take to do this and any pitfalls/dangers I should be aware of.
The kitchen is in use so I am worried I might get plaster on some of these items.

Thanks,
George

Sponsored Links
Get a plasterer in to do your skimming It shouldn't be that expensive and you can watch him and pick his brains for next time...

That's too ambitious for a novice, and you never put the board up to take it down again. That's a disaster waiting to happen. I think you need help.

Sponsored Links
No need to skim if you don't want to, just tape, fill and sand the board joints. Lay wiring and cut holes before fitting gyproc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back