plasterboard kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could I have your recommendations please ? My kitchen was once two rooms, half plastered (1960's) - half not. The previous owner overcame this by lining the entire room with hardboard panelling and banging up some plasterboard on ceiling and coveing whole with polystyrene tiles - I am now removing entire ceiling and all hardboard.

Will have to plasterboard kitchen ceiling - there are only joists so will have to nail boards in them i assume, could you recommend what thickness and size/type of board - I will then get it skimmed

I think I will have the half a room plastered and join up to the existing plaster and ask for the lot to be skimmed but this is going to be messy - or I could board half with pb and then ask to be skimmed - I have not any quotes yet - could be scary

if i have plastered how long will I be without a kitchen whilst it dries - how long before i can attach kithcen cabinets ?many thanks

Sponsored Links
Lilac

Ceiling is pretty easy, re-board with 12 mm plaster board, brown side down, using plaster board screws to fix, making sure boards are tight to joists.

Scrimtape the joins including where the new board joins the walls. The ceiling is now ready for skimming. Mine dried with 2-3 days and I painted with a watered white emulsion. Let that dry then paint with whatever colour you choose.

As for your walls I would get the bare half plastered with bonding coat up to the level of the existing plaster then skim the lot.

Again, several days drying is reqquired but you can still use the ktichen, just make sure there is plenty of ventilation and the room is not too warm.

Bobs your Uncle - new kitchen!

hi lilac,

12.5 boards are the ones your after but with IVORY side down not the brown. it actually states on the board USE THIS SIDE. :eek:

screw them to the joists checking they are level stagger the joints like brickwork and scrim tape the joints n screw heads.

not exactly sure what you mean by part of the room is unplastered i assume you mean half of it doesn't have a skim coat ?

if so pva 5:1 ratio giving a few coats or w.b.a and skim feathering in the joints. if it is back to the brick then you will have to bring out the wall as toptec describes. :LOL:

i always advise customers to give it a few weeks to allow a skim coat to dry and a floated wall takes even longer 3-4 weeks. but if you must paint it then i would use a breathable paint like dulux trade super matt or something similar. it basically allows the plaster underneath to breath allowing it to dry.

thanks so much for your replies. I will have to look out for double sided ivory . I will need 8 - 180x90 boards but will have to cut some - what's the best way to cut this and with what ?

Re: the room - one half is brick.breeze blck and the other plastered ! Was two rooms once. many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
They are really easy to cut. Just score a line with a sharp stanley blade, and snap in half, like you would a biscuit, then use the same blade to cut through the join from underneath.

For holes I used a small plasterboard saw which I got at Lidl's for £1.99

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back