1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Skim or plasterboard kitchen party wall

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by Richard McCaul, 11 Mar 2019.

1. Richard McCaul

Richard McCaul

Thanks Received:
    Ireland
    Hi all..

I'm having a new kitchen installed so have ripped out the old one along with tiles along a party wall.

The tile adhesive was plastered spread on so half the plasterboard came off and in some places all of it !!

I'm wondering what's the best course of action . do I have it reskimmed or replace the plasterboard.

There is some exposed copper pipes from boiler also.

I had a plasterer in doing ceiling work and he recommended just skimming over it.

It's a dot an dab wall.

I'll be putting a glass splashback over the wall between units so I'm thinking skimming might be better ??.

I can also hear TV from neighbours kitchen so would like it sealed.

I'll put up a photo

Thanks

2. Richard McCaul

Richard McCaul

Thanks Received:
    Ireland
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Your plasterer is right. The damage is confined to small areas so he may as well repair those and then skim.

5. bobasd

bobasd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    lightly skim an heavy tape the damage p/b let it almost dry an then pull out with more skim - no bumps or lumps, keep on p/b plane.

might be best to have the splashback height to just below the elec plates an then tile above splashback upto wall units.
    a semi 2 sided boxing might work for the boiler an pipework?

maybe the elec an plumbing needs re-arranging -
    is the water mains lead pipe?
    presume the cooker an sink is on the right wall?

too many openings in D&D for sound deadning.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links