Kitchen Ceiling - Skim first or Lights first please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are doing up our kitchen and are putting plasterboards onto wooden batons on a false ceiling.

We need a plasterer to come and skim the ceiling but I need to know whether to cut out the holes for the lights (low voltage round spotlighty ones)
first or to get the skimming done first?

It would be easier for us to cut the holes first but will this make the plasterer's job very difficult?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Cut the holes after using a decent hole cutter, I don't understand why it would be easier for you to do it before; personally, I would prefer not to skim over holes!

i concur with Richard.

install the wiring, draw a diagram, fix ceiling, skim ceiling, then cut holes using the diagram as a reference.

trying to skim over holes will result in a lot of falling plaster and an annoyed spread.

Good advise to draw up a diagram for positioning of downlights - I've been back to 2 customers recently who after I'd skimmed the ceiling they drilled the hole saw straight into rafter as they couldn't remember the correct positions for lights. Very annoying and fiddley job to patch up stray holes in a nice freshley skimmed ceiling. :eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back