Any models builders on here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was bought this for Christmas off one of my step-sons;

When I saw it I was quite pleased and thought, "I'll knock that together between Christmas and New Year.
Never got round to it as other things were happening, but now that I have, it is more difficult than you realise but if you have the patience, a very enjoyable task.
I've assembled the motor unit and most of the body work. Got some intricate small pieces ti fit and then just add the wheels and connect up the gear box.
Just doing about an hour or two every couple of nights while my wife does a jigsaw at the other end of the table.
If you are thinking of getting one be warned! There are some very small pieces that require small, long nosed pliers/tweezers, a steady hand and a free standing magnifying glass comes in handy.
When it's finished, I'll try to upload a photo. Keep me occupied while I'm off work for the next 3-6 months.

Sponsored Links
Awesome.....i used to love Airfix as a kid.

People bring them in to where I work as a volunteer, there are some really good, some are just electric, but many are steam powered, they have a 16 mm set up, which they tend to use.
DSC_7157_tonemapped.jpg

DSC_7123-33_Panorama1_1.jpg

It seems 3D printing is now used a lot to make parts that look like the unit they are modelled from. The original was not that big to start with, just 2'6" gauge.
DSC_7056_1.jpg
Does make me laugh, we are no where near the coast at Llanfair or Welshpool. And express when speed limited to 16 MPH, mind you some roads in Wales now limited to 20 MPH, will need the red flag soon the way things are going.

Sponsored Links
When it's finished, I'll try to upload a photo. Keep me occupied while I'm off work for the next 3-6 months.

It says 'assembly time 3 hours', not months ????

Eminently more sensible than those hyper expensive magazines, which include on part of the model with each edition of the magazine, where you hope they keep the magazine going for the entire parts run.

One of the guys on the railway has done that, building a 1/12 scale I think super sentinel steam lorry, the parts arrive every 6 months, takes around 2½ years to build, large enough to ride on.
DSC_7044_1.jpg
This was how far he had got about this time last year. It must be about finished now, but I am not into building kits like that, and not cheap either, think about same price as his car, which is a Aston Martin well over my price range.

I still got some bits of hornby from the early 70's

Sponsored Links
Back