Any of you guys grow your own veg in the garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will be moving house next year when the renovating has finished. It's got quite a large garden and what with me getting older and listening to Radio2 a lot, I thought I'd dedicate a patch of the garden into a growing patch.

Does anyone already do this?
Is it a case of throwing some seeds down and a bag of spuds appears the next day?
Does it taste as good as the supermarket stuff?
Can a novice like me do it?

Any advice most welcome! :D

Sponsored Links
My sister has attempted it, with some success. Carrots, potatoes, leeks, all good, onions, tomatoes not so much. I grow chillies, which are an absolute doddle, but not much else :D

Taste is far better than any supermarket produce,can a novice do it ,yes but be prepared for hard work and dissapointments along the way.Don't know where your best place to go for advice is, the little I know was picked up from my old dad many a moon ago.

Get any tips from this wonderful thing called the world wide web, most pointers, pitfalls and preferences will be explained for you :D

Sponsored Links
I would love to grow some veg, the trouble is that I have chickens and when we let them out - they eat everything. I can recommend chickens. The eggs that we get are the best tasting eggs you would every get.

Andy

[GALLERY=media, 25984][/GALLERY]

This is just a corner of our vege garden. It's a lot of work but I think the results are worth it.

I suggest to start off small and if you like it expand.

A really good book to have a look at is The Complete Gardener written by Monty Don (Ex BBC).

My dad always grows vegetables in his garden. He has 2 cold frames and a rather large greenhouse. Uses the frames for broad beans, carrots, cabbage, beetroot, etc and the greenhouse for tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuces.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Don't grow rhubarb!
It spreads everywhere! :eek:

Good luck with whatever you try MW. It can be hard work, and disappointing at times, but when it comes to fruition, (no pun intended), it can be very rewarding.
Stay away from chemical fertilizers and rely on good natural ones, food will taste so much better.
Start with the basics, spuds, carrots, cabbage, caulis etc then when you get the hang of it go for the more 'harder' ones.
Don't forget to rotate your crops each year and leave a patch fallow each year so it can fully recover after you have used it.
There are plenty of good books out there, don't rely on the web you need something you can take into the potting shed with you and read through as you go through each stage. I would suggest going for books by established, (read- older), gardeners rather than modern thinkers. The old ways are proven methods.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Only thing that I ever grew was a Cactus! And that keeps sprouting new Cactii, bloody thing!

easy to do- just get old gardening books . Virtually given away @ bootsales . A rotavator from an auction . keep the weeds down - 1 years seeds=7 years weeds :idea:

Like someone says start small. I started with one chilli plant now have 3 along with french beans, corgettes, loads of tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, plus loads of herbs such as rosemary, basil, corriander, chive, parsley.

I don't have a garden and these are all grown in pots and troughs on my patio

We will be moving house next year when the renovating has finished. It's got quite a large garden and what with me getting older and listening to Radio2 a lot, I thought I'd dedicate a patch of the garden into a growing patch.

Does anyone already do this?
Is it a case of throwing some seeds down and a bag of spuds appears the next day?

Go for it, home grown stuff is far superior, we grow anything and everything in our garden I really like the corn cobs we grow.

If you have a chance to dig over the piece you are going to use for your veg garden, do it this autumn and let the winter frost's break it down.

Sponsored Links
Back