Levelling a sloping back garden - help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first gardening query!

We have a downward sloping garden its currently patio, lawn - slopes from about a 3rd of the way down, borders and some large conifers on either corner at the bottom then a wooden fence.

Garden is approx 10m wide, 12m long and difference in levels is about 80cm. I'd like to get it all levelled out, lawned as much as possible and if possible keep the conifers for privacy. We also have a lovely Japanese maple at the bottom that I'd like to keep but could be moved? I'm not bothered about the other plants they can be moved or given away. I need lots of lawn for 3 kids!

So the following help is needed:

1. I guess I need to build a wall at the bottom of the garden to keep the soil etc in otherwise the fence will just rot away/ soil wash away through the fence as it has gaps!

How high above the soil/ new turf level should I build it? Is it possible to use breezeblock? (I'm guessing this will be cheapest way to do it? What do I need to use for foundations? How far down do foundations need to be? Can this be a job for handy hubby - (will be one man show though) or will cost of hiring equipment etc out way savings on getting someone else to do it?

Should wall be right up against fence or should I leave a gap - if gap how much don't want to loose much of garden.

2. What to fill slope in with? Does it all have to be soil or should I get some stones? What is cheapest option - must be completely safe and child friendly no glass etc. I have a 30% discount at Travis Perkins

3. How do I do the measurement for what is needed as it's a slope not a hole? (Sorry I have poor Maths brain)

4. What's the best way to get it level? Soil / stones would be delivered to driveway so it would be a case of wheel barrowing it round to the back and filling in between wall and existing lawn / borders. Is it a case of just raking it evenly out until gap is complete?

5. Can I just cover the conifers trunks by level of soil and leave this area unturfed? The lower branches have been cut away to about 1m anyway - Mother in laws doing can't remember why!

6. Best way to move the maple it's quite established probably 2 m high? Can I do same with this just soil up the trunk to level?

7. Grass seed - can never seem to get this to grow well for us? Guess I need to follow instructions better! Do turf suppliers have a minimum to supply - would I need to do whole garden again?

Any help and advice sincerely welcomed.

Many thanks, Snewman

Sponsored Links
for the retaining wall at the bottom i would use 7n dense concrete blocks on the non visible skin and say giscol commons on the face side. any spoil from the foundations can be used as infill as will any soil or rubble from the project.

i would have a three feet path at the garden bottom in order to maintain the fence, unless you intend building the retainer on the fence line and re-hash the fence altogether. there are post fixings that could be fixed directly to the wall.

i'm no gardener, but i don't think raising the soil level up a tree trunk is a good idea. you will have to speak to a green fingered bod about this.

the post is a little long winded. you may get a better response if you posted lots of shorter questions. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back