any pros out there that can help us!

B

bellcheese

hi guys me and my other half need some help basically i always normally get a pro decorator in to do my work but moneys a little tight at the moment (new place) so to my reluctance and her persistence i gave in. basically i have stripped the main bedroom of some horrid old wallpaper which was a swine to get off probably my crap method:oops: also repaired a few cracks and holes and where i have gouged the fxxk out of the wall ha. anyway got round to sanding it all down and dusting off no problems so far but now i have a big one.
im trying to line the walls with some 1400 grade paper but am having a nightmare. when i put my paper up to one of the walls which is a stud wall which isnt like plaster its sort of grey coloured and very porous and chalky.
dont know what it is but its giving me big problems its sucking the paste up before it has a chance to stick so the papers just falling down :confused: so im guessing i need to seal the wall with somthing but i dont have a clue what with done a bit of research on the net and have found somthing called size by solvite seems to be what im after but really dont want to end up with a bigger problem than what i already have can any of you pros point me in the right direction i have also found a product called zinsser gardz which claims to seal and bind down chalky surfaces is this suitable? once again guys thans alot for your help and advice and in future i will certainly being hiring a pro regardless of the money and the nagging ms cheers :D

Sponsored Links
Just give it a good coat of the Solvite wallpaper paste prior to lining the wall, this will stop some of the obscorboncy whe you put the paper on.

cheers m8 should of said i have already done that thinking it would slow the drying rate up hasn't worked for me.... any ideas for sealers? thanks once more bud

Zinsser gardz is made for the job.

Sponsored Links
I agree with Joe, a few years ago i would have put a paste size over it but now i'd go with the gardz. It comes in useful for many jobs so the expense is easily justified, for instance i've found its excellent for sealing caulk to prevent the paint cracking over it, also good for spot priming filler which saves knocking up some thinned emulsion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back