Any regulations on internal stop cock location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new water main recently to replace a damaged lead one, due to underpinning this now comes up through the floor 25cm from the wall- right in the middle of the sink unit.

I can see 2 options;
1- drill a hole in the bottom of the sink unit, thread the pipe through and connect the stop cock so it's inside the unit.
2- connect the stop cock underneath the unit- just below floor level then turn it 90degrees so it can run behind the unit, then Put an access panel in the unit floor

2 is my preference for easier changing units in the future and to save having a pipe right in the middle of the unit but are there any restrictions on the stop cock being in this location?[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Why not put an elbow on as it comes up through the floor to turn it back to the wall, another elbow up the wall (behind the unit) stopcock on the back wall above the unit base and an access panel in the back of the unit

No regulations for exact position.

You can turn off inthe street then put elbows where you like. You can get fittings for the blue plastic easily enough if you need those.

If the plinth is removable, it would be OK to have a stopcock behind the plinth - as long as you remember it's there and the tap's a decent once which won't seize up.

Don't forget it should have an electrical Earth Bond connection, once it's metal.
Water regs require a non return valve and drain off cock, but they're often missing.

Thanks for the replies, plumber and water board recommended putting no joints in before the stop cock, only reason I'd not considered doing a 90degree joint straight away.

The only metal part is the stop cock- after that it's plastic throughout, thanks for the hint on non return- it has a drain valve but first time a non returns been mentioned

Sponsored Links
I don't see a problem as long as the joint is accessible. It's your pipe, not theirs. (Unlike the gas pipe to the meter, say). Kitchen base units can usually be unscrewed and slid out if absolutely necessary, so I'd class that as accessible.
There's obviously a joint on to a water meter at the pavement, and often an intermediate stopcock under the front garden somewhere.

The NRV is often not fitted. Some water authorities are fussier than others. You normally only find out their opinion when you change from lead pipes under a free replacement scheme, and they go round the house inspecting. The valves CAN be a bit noisy.
There's no requirement to make a house up to the latest regs, unless it's new.
No NRV in my house...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back