Condensation on stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have read lots about this but always prefer to ask on here.

my friend has his stop cock inside his floor standing vanity unit within shower room.

On inspection the stop cock is always wet, this has led to damp plaster board and now it appears to have made the carpet very slightly wet on the other side of the same stud wall.

This seems to be any issue during the cold weather.

We are going to remove the unit and take a closer look however all the pipe work is behind the tiling.

Before I get started has anyone had any experience with anything similar?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
First thing would be to use kitchen roll/toilet roll etc and dry it all up and check for obvious leaks/weeping. If not then it's not unusual for pipework/taps to form condensation especially in a damp/wet space like a bathroom, when the weather changes and the cold water temperature drops. Try getting some insulation around the pipe/tap and seal it all up.

Thanks mate.

Yes I’d have personally boxed the stop in with an insulated cover myself ‍♂️

Am I right in saying that hot air hitting the cold stopcock (caused by shower) is getting trapped in the vanity unit where it cannot escape this causing all the condensation

Am I right in saying that hot air hitting the cold stopcock (caused by shower) is getting trapped in the vanity unit where it cannot escape this causing all the condensation

Yes and no, it's not getting trapped as such, the warm air is carrying much more moisture from the shower and when it hits the cold pipe/tap, as the shower is in use at the time and keeping the cold tap/pipes cold, it will condense quite quickly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate.

Yes.

Dry it up, insulate around it or improve ventilation.

Hi, if the stopcock appears to be leaking, rather than condensation, it usually is from the spindle that emerges through the gland nut.
A clockwise turn of the gland nut will often stop the leak, or if more severe undo the gland nut and wrap some PTFE tape around the spindle and then tighten the gland nut. YouTube might give you some assistance here.
PS leave all the other nuts alone!

Stop.jpg

Repair.jpg

Thanks mate.

Not exactly, it is warm moist air passing the very cold pipe + stop cock condensing out. Insulate it and wrap it in plastic strip, anything which will help keep the moist air away from it will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back