Any tips for painting new pine floorboards white?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We hate our cheapo 90's laminate floor in our hallway and the plan is to have Scandanavian-style white floor (see image).

We were hoping that the original Victorian floorboards were intact underneath, but no joy.

How feasible is it to take up existing laminate, lay underlay, lay pine floorboards (assume T&G is ok?) and then prime + paint with floor paint?

Or should we prime and paint the boards before laying them?

Any advice appreciated.

View media item 63092 View media item 63093

Sponsored Links
I would advise against it personally.

If you are fixing pine , floor boards they are best nailed to the joists. If they are tongue and groove which i assume they are, its better to be nailed to a ply sub-floor. Pine boards tend to expand and shrink too much to be floated on an underlay.

Also pine marks very very easily. This is fine if you just lacquer it and want a rustic look. One you colour it , the marks show up very easily against the stain colour which will scrape away easy no matter how good quality the stain is , simply because the pine is so soft.

We have a laminate just in that could be exactly what you are after. It's so to the real thing you would swear it was a white painted floor board.It looks very rustic , but is relatively cheap and very hard wearing. It also wont need refinished all the time.

It's not on our website just yet but i will post a pic. For a laminate its incredible.

Here it is. Impressive for a laminate i thought. It looks a bit whiter in the flesh. I need to take proper photos for our website soon.

DSCF2085_zpsf1985ec3.jpg

DSCF2086_zps7b47570e.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back