Laminate in same direction as floorboards...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

Currently decorating our lounge, a room roughly 17.5 feet long by 11.5 feet wide. Planning to lay laminate because we have a dog who likes to attack carpets, for some reason or other. The room has four inch T and G floorboards; its in good nick and level, so I don't plan to lay any levelling boards. However.. whilst I know that you're not supposed to lay the laminate boards in the same direction as the floorboards, given the layout of the room and the fact that the longest wall runs in the same direction as the current floorboards, if would be much easier cutting-wise and appearance-wise if I break that rule.

Given that these are 4 inch boards and laminate boards are, I'm pretty sure wider than that, if I use a decent underlay then is laying the laminate in the same direction as the boards a sound plan, or one fraught with danger? I have laid laminate before, but on a concrete floor that was levelled with plywood.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I don't see a problem with it if using an underlay. But the general rule for laminate is lay with the short edge facing the light to stop the window light showing up the length joins.

I don't see a problem with it if using an underlay. But the general rule for laminate is lay with the short edge facing the light to stop the window light showing up the length joins.
Thanks for the response. I think I'm best laying parallel with the longest wall because for one thing, it means far fewer cuts.

Thanks for the response. I think I'm best laying parallel with the longest wall because for one thing, it means far fewer cuts.
Until you reach the other wall and then you will be making full length cuts instead of shorter width cuts --- wont you ?
And you only cut the board once as the offcut is the start of the next row - unless you need to stagger differently like I try to do and not have a join right at a door threshold or the most likely foot tread area

Sponsored Links
Until you reach the other wall and then you will be making full length cuts instead of shorter width cuts --- wont you ?
And you only cut the board once as the offcut is the start of the next row - unless you need to stagger differently like I try to do and not have a join right at a door threshold or the most likely foot tread area
I've got lots of spare time, and I intend to do plenty of "dry laying" before I settle on a final plan, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back