Laying laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post so hello :D

We are planning to lay a laminate floor in our living room this weekend, the floor at present is wood floorboards apart from a concrete area (100cm x 30cm) that is the remains of an old fireplace.

This concrete area is currently tiled, we have removed a tile and the level is slightly lower than the wooden floorboards, before laying the floor would it be best to:
- lay double fibre board underlay to level this concrete area
- apply a floor levelling compound
- level the area with a piece of plywood then lay underlay and flooring above

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Any of those methods will work though leveling compound should get level perfect and is preferable.If using ply glue and screw down as it could cup or bow underneath giving the floor a bounce in that area.

Hi Sbrem
I won't be much help here but the suggestion of putting down laminate under lay and the mention of the thick type (this will be 6mm I used a 3mm) and then a laminate on top of that will raise the level far above what will be required - I had to get a dining room fully rescreeded and an engineered flooring put down - you are best to buy a decent thickness laminate at least 12 mm so as you can see you need at least 16mm of height an engineered wood would be best over thick laminate ( it would only need a very thin underlay and the comfort zone is much higher it cost me £2000 to get a dining room floor lifted screed and an engineered would put down but it was worth it all though expensive. I suggest you get someone to level it all off and then do the rest yourself; by the way B & Q do laminate courses at specific sites and comes under DIY.com I did 3 courses and tackled it myself if you go for laminate go for the easy click flooring I used a Milano named brand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back