Any tips for removing oil based paint from plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just stripped back 4 layers of wallpaper and a layer of woodchip (hhmm nice!) to find a thick layer of green oil based paint on the interior plaster walls.

Half of it came away when steaming and scraping the wallpaper but the other half is proving much more stubborn.

I've read two threads relating to this: One suggests roughly sanding and sealing then apply new emulsion - unfortunately, this is not an option as 50% has already come off which would mean the outline of this would be visible once repainted.
The second thread mentioned a product called RemovAll from Cirrus Systems - unfortunately it looks like you have to order this from the manufacturer which wouldn't fit my (impatient) timescales of getting stuck in tomorrow. Also, it comes in 4 litre pots, which would be too much.

I have used Nitromores on wood before, but am unsure whether folks would recommend it for removing oil based paint from plaster.

Any tips?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A heat gun should give you a little more heat than a steamer & soften the paint enough to allow easy stripping but be careful, too much concentrated heat will blow the finish plaster from the base & then you’ll be faced with even more remedial work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back