Any tricks for planing down a twisted stud in situ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got some studs that were installed in an old house and twisted when they were nailed in, as they're not straight onto the pencil line drawn on the floor. Can't take the studs out and reposition them as the opposite end is on a finished wall, so a bunch of laths are nailed to it, meaning I'll have to plane it down flat instead.

Is there any trick to doing it with an electric planer that doesn't just involve holding it at a slight angle towards the proud side (so you don't just continue the twist) and taking it slowly to try to make it 'good enough' in terms of being flat?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Got some studs that were installed in an old house and twisted when they were nailed in, as they're not straight onto the pencil line drawn on the floor. Can't take the studs out and reposition them as the opposite end is on a finished wall, so a bunch of laths are nailed to it, meaning I'll have to plane it down flat instead.

Is there any trick to doing it with an electric planer that doesn't just involve holding it at a slight angle towards the proud side (so you don't just continue the twist) and taking it slowly to try to make it 'good enough' in terms of being flat?
Tack a batten down the high side as a guide
and plane both together or fux the batten in the high side at the finished level and use the flat surface as a guide for a multool to slice off the high piece and leave the batten in place for extra board support...slower but I've used that method before

Last edited:
Tack a batten down the high side as a guide
and plane both together or fux the batten in the high side at the finished level and use the flat surface as a guide for a multool to slice off the high piece and leave the batten in place for extra board support...slower but I've used that method before

If I do that the same thing would happen, as the entire stud itself is twisted. I'd need to tack down the batten while packing it out against the side of the stuf to be flat. Is that what you meant?

Yes sorry I didn't make it clearer. when I said " finished level" the batten needs to be in the same plane as the line of the wall

Sponsored Links
Yes the batten needs to be in the same plane as the line of the wall

Which is going to be fun—all three studs on this small bit of wall are twisted, in different directions, too!

1800s builders were something else.

You could do with a laser and plane away the light which are the high or out of line spots
1698596396948.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back