Any way to repair surface on laminated steel appliances?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the last year and half since my daughter was born our house has steadily declined in terms of cleanliness and my wife and I both work so a couple of weeks ago we employed a professional cleaning company to give our house a thorough deep clean (kitchen and bathroom mainly).

Unfortunately they damaged the 'EZYKleen' laminate on surface of our fridge and also a similar surface on the the oven. One of the directors of the company was just here to check the damage and in the process made it a lot worse by trying to clean off the already-peeling laminate. The surface on the oven seems pretty resilient until the edge is scratched and then its a bit like removing wallpaper - it keeps peeling - but a lot easier. The damage in the photo was just with a soft cloth and some Cif multi-surface cleaner.

The surface on these appliances has been perfect for 6 years but now they both look a bit tattered. My research has suggested that there is nothing that can be done with these types of steel surface, in which case we will aim to settle for replacement doors if they are available.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this problem before and if there is a solution beyond buying replacements, as both appliance are still fully functioning.

Model details:
Fisher & Paykel RF342BCRX1
Hotpoint DE89X/1

TL;DR Coated steel finished peeling/rubbed off fridge and fitted oven.

Attachments

• WP_20180625_21_11_14_Rich.jpg
    WP_20180625_21_11_14_Rich.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 213
Sponsored Links
Ooooh, I just (re)discovered* that WD-40 does wonders to the finish. Its made the bare patches on the fridge almost completely invisible and the oven peeling is slightly less obvious. 1 out of 2 problems solved and the wife has cheered up somewhat :cool: :D

*I remembered our kitchen fitter told me this was the best way to clean brushed steel and gave it a shot with nothing to lose. Nice one, Keith!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back