Anybody had experience with "Hammerite Underbody Seal&q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope somebody can help as i am not too good with things like this :)

I have a Seat Leon which is about 3 months old, and unfortunately we have managed to chip some of the kind of rubber paint off the under side of the chassis near the sills (if that's how you spell it!)

As its out of view right under the car its this kind of black rubbery paint, which the guy at Halfords told me could be repaired with "Hammerite Underbody Seal with Waxoyl".

The chip is little more than 5mm x 5mm, but as it is down to the metal it has started to show signs of very slight surface rust.

What i wanted to know is whether i need to treat this with something like "Hammerite Kurust" of just adding the underbody seal will do the job as it has waxoyl in it will remove the rust?

Normally i would take it somewhere to ge this looked at but due to it being so small though i could maybe do it myself.

Sponsored Links
it is good stuff,wire brush the area first,apply some kurust and let it do its stuff then put the underbody sealant on,it does contain a rust inhibitor but this wont do the same job as the kurust convertor

Thanks for your advice

When I looked at it much more closely last night i noticed that what i thought was rust was actually just some residue from original seal that had been scratched off, it also seemed that what i though was bare metal was potenitally an undercoat. Luckily since i scratched it on Tuesday the weather has been dry as a bone, hence why i wanted to do it before it rains! So cleaned the area and applied the underbody seal. Checked it this morning and seems good (hard to tell in such a small area!)Does however seem to be a little bit sticky in places guessing it may need a little longer to firm up more as did it quite late on last night.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
The wakoyl stuff doesn't go hard really. It always stays a little tacky so dont expect it to be like the original covering.

Back