ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT THIS IS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a problem with water leaking out of the Air Vent on my Worcester 9.24.

Now I know I can buy a new Air vent here....
s3.jpg

but I don't think thats the problem!!

There's this "Valve spring thing" that connects to the bottom of the air vent...........
s1.jpg

But I can't seem to find out what it's called, to enable me to try & buy one.

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers [/img]

Sponsored Links
It's an isolating valve. When the AAV is unscrewed, the spring pushes the plunger up; it should seal against a seat, stopping the water coming out. It is reopened by screwing the AAV into the fitting. It shouldn't come apart like that.

Anyway, they're carp. You'd be better off to fit a 1/2" lockshield (or screwdriver operated) ball valve.

You should have an isolating valve, i.e., a proper IV, below an AAV because they're liable to get debris in the seat and start leaking. As you've found out. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Whilst I know that many homeowners will do anything to save a few pounds, an AAV is so cheap that they are easy to replace rather then clean.

Depressurising is again very simple so that little device becomes redundant and even when supplied with an AAV I dont bother to fit them. Even if you tried to use them as intended they usually leak anyway.

Tony

It wasn't about being cheap!!!

I thought this was an important part of the vent mechanism.
And all the sellers on the Internet didn't mention that this part came with it.

If I had known, all that it did was seal off the water when you removed the AVV, I wouldn't have bothered asking about it or fitting it.

Anyhow I have since bought an avv (including the Self Closing Valve item).

thanks for all who helped ;o)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back