Anybody use Xpress pipe for heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was going to hire a pipe crimper and use carbon steel Xpress Pipe and fittings.
Does anybody here have any experience using the tool and the piping system?
Speed is an advantage, cost a drawback......anything else to consider?

Sponsored Links
Carbon steel is far cheaper than end feed copper fittings and copper tube, on comparison you can get 35mm CS tube for the same as 22mm CU tube.

Depends what size your doing as to your choice of tooling, novopress make the best tools but rems do a samall pistol style that's ok.

Pressfit gas is a massive step forward either in Stainless or copper.

Just remember, you can't use CS for water or gas, CU/SS will do all services.

Recent repipe
View media item 70661

I used York Xpress copper for all services about 4 years ago. The battery tool is more convenient. You can also get a manual tool to 15 and 22.
I have topped up the boiler once in 4 years.
I chose copper because you can pull bends and go straight to compression for final connections.
Geberit Mapress is another virtually identical system.

Carbon steel is far cheaper than end feed copper fittings and copper tube, on comparison you can get 35mm CS tube for the same as 22mm CU tube.

Depends what size your doing as to your choice of tooling, novopress make the best tools but rems do a samall pistol style that's ok.

Pressfit gas is a massive step forward either in Stainless or copper.

Just remember, you can't use CS for water or gas, CU/SS will do all services.

Recent repipe
View media item 70661

Lee, I was going to use CS on a sealed heating loop not mains feed or dhw.
Is that the same rules?

Sponsored Links
CS is absolutely fine for heating/cooling water.

A few years ago, I was involved in a boiler room revamp in a hotel (x6 55kW boilers and x6 250 litre DHW cylinders). All pipework (apart from Gas) was in Copper using the crimp fittings from 15mm to 54mm. Only had one leak, this wasn't too catastrophic as it was very easily remedied without cutting out the affected fitting.

A lot of forward thinking and more room is required, a) to fit the tool an b) unless I'm mistaken, the 90° bends are swept bends not elbows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back