Anybody want some work? Nr Bala in Wales

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully you can give me some idea of the cost involved in sorting out a house in Wales. There is a fairly basic builders merchants about 2 miles down the road and thereafter you're looking at Wrexham or Oswestry (about 30 miles). The house is located about 6 miles south of Bala 2 miles outside the village of Llanuwchllyn. The house is a traditional stone farmhouse about 150 years old.

Although in quite good condition, there are a number of things we would like done to it. If you could give me some idea of the cost (which I won't hold you to) I would be very grateful. At the moment it is empty with no kitchen other than a belfast sink with taps fitted.

The cellar measures about 14' x 14'. The floor has a few slate slabs but by and large is earth so digging out a couple of inches shouldn't be a huge problem. The present height from floor to ceiling is about 6 foot so if you could steal another 6 inches or so by lowering the floor -- so much the better. However the key problem is price, so the main work would be tanking so the cellar has a chance to dry out. It's not soaking down there but the house has been empty for a while so there is quite a bit of condensation. There is also a window (below ground level) to the outside and it needs a new window sill board. The walls are raw stone so there is no need to remove plaster.

The bathroom is downstairs and sits above the cellar. The sink, toilet and bath waste pipes emerge from the floor of the bathroom into the cellar so access is no problem. The mains water is also in the cellar so finding a feed is also no problem. I mention this because the only job in the bathroom is to fit a quadrant shower tray, cubicle and electric shower and a bit of tiling around the shower cubicle to make good. We already have the tray, cubicle and shower.

The front living room and back living room have log burners. With these I would like you to put a piece of fireproof board just inside the chimney with the chiminey pipe from the log burner going through the fireproof board to minimise the draft.

The stairs down to the cellar already has the framework for boxing off but there is about 3 feet either side that needs to be boxed off in something like pine tongue and groove and a door fitted to the stairs to the cellar.

There are no kitchen units fitted but there is an old Belfast sink with the taps above it. The only thing required here is to fit approximately an eight unit kitchen and worktop. The sink will not be moving so other than putting the taps on the new worktop, there will be no other plumbing. We will get the kitchen from B&Q and have it delivered to the house.

Upstairs nothing required other than in one of the bedrooms there is a hot water tank sitting on a wooden pedestal. We would like this boxed in in wood with a door -- effectively something like an airing cupboard.

Outside both of the chimneys need to be re-capped. The pointing on the walls and the chimneys is fine.

There is a rickety fence running along the front of the house and about half the distance again on the left-hand side of the house. What we want is to remove the fence and rickety gate at the side of the house and replace with a new fence and gate. About 20 meters of picket fencing with a wooden gate.

We also want the house completely rewired with a new consumer unit with MCB's and mains operated smoke alarm upstairs and downstairs. As I said above the house is stone so there will be no chasing into plaster or anything like that as all of the wires seem to run along the roof beams etc. The house is heated by storage heaters so I suppose these need to be on a separate ring main.

As I say at this stage, all I'm looking for is a ballpark figure and I won't hold you to it. However, if you are interested I am more than happy to be flexible on whatever you quote in respect of unforeseen circumstances. Additionally if you fancy a trip up there beforehand to agree a price that's no problem.

If interested post a reply and a means to contact you.

Sponsored Links
what do you mean by "no chasing into plaster"? you want surface cabling?

is the roof thatched? more likely slate being wales I suppose?..

storage heaters would need a seperate radial to every heater ( or possible every 2 heaters depending on size.. )

without seeing it, ballpark figure for a re-wire is anywhere from £2500 - £4500 depending...

no mention of how many rooms, how many floors etc..

Are they still burning second homes in Wales :eek:

due to forum rules, any "means to cantact you" that is left would be deleted by the mods.. they don't let us put personal contact details on here.. you'd have to PM anyone from their profile pages..

if you were to post extensive photo's and a plan diagram with approximate room dimensions on it then we'd have a better idea of what we're playing with..

Sponsored Links
Need an idea how many sockets, lights, extractor fan/hood etc in kitchen, outside lights etc.

Assuming you intend to plaster, in which case it would be a flush fix system, it would be difficult to complete 'till the plastering is finished.

I pass through Bala en-route to Barmouth from time to time. Could call in.

tried to reply to your PM you sent me, but your set to "friends only" so it wouldn't let me...
so I'll put it here...

"not actually wanting to quote, just offering advice..
Bala is about 3 hours from here, so WAY out of my way.. camped there once or twice as a kid though.. nice place..

I'm not a domestic sparky as a rule and have only done 1 rewire, but I did work on a old hospital conversion into 26 flats..

I'm not Part P registered either as I do mainly industrial / production electrics.. so £600 a year for the odd shower doesn't seem worth it..
"

thanks for that Coljack, I fully understand.

SNM if you are interested, please send me a personal message with a means to contact you. I did try but like me yours is also set to "friends only". I have now adjusted mine and it should receive messages from all registered users.

If anybody else's interested, please get in touch.

By the way, I'm not just looking for a re-wire but all of the other work as well.

you might try posting more specific details in the relavent forums.. not everyone looks in all the forums....

hi mate are you looking for someone to do all the work or you going to use different trades?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back