Anyone been a victim of ID theft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst we were on holiday for a month, someone opened an account using my name, address and DOB for something called Very.co.uk (Clothes store I think) and spent about £350.

They apparently had the stuff delivered to a different address. I rang their ID theft department who said they are dealing with it and may write to me but just to forget about it.

I'm worried it may affect my credit rating as in the summer we may be borrowing some money on our mortgage for a 2 storey rear extension on our house. :(

Sponsored Links
Might be worth keeping a check on your credit rating with Experian etc. However, this costs, albeit a couple of quid for a one off report.
An alternative is to sign up with Noddle
https://www.noddle.co.uk/

This gives you a free overview of your credit rating/details. Whilst it is not as thorough as Experian and similar, it does work. Even checks on your credit worthiness from car insurance enquiries appear on it. All bank/credit accounts are in there.

I cant imagine that it would affect it, as it should all be cancelled, I would tend to contact Very again and ask for them to confirm in writing that it has been completely cancelled and there is no record of it on your account.
I hope that noddle has plenty of security protection...I am not too keen on the thought that access to private details can be obtained for free.

I hope that noddle has plenty of security protection...I am not too keen on the thought that access to private details can be obtained for free.

As secure as any other site/organisation you sign up to that holds your private info.

Sponsored Links
Whilst we were on holiday for a month, someone opened an account using my name, address and DOB for something called Very.co.uk (Clothes store I think) and spent about £350.

They apparently had the stuff delivered to a different address. I rang their ID theft department who said they are dealing with it and may write to me but just to forget about it.

I'm worried it may affect my credit rating as in the summer we may be borrowing some money on our mortgage for a 2 storey rear extension on our house. :(

Sorry to hear that, I suggest you get your credit file from Equifax and or Experian to check if they have damaged your credit rating or managed to get other cards/loans in your name.

Also you can notify them, but it may also mean a bt of extra hassle for you whenever you apply for credit.

Back