Anyone Got A New-ish Motorola?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying a new phone for Mrs Secure.

Before the jokes start to fly, this purchase will be completed within the next month!

She has a Huawei P8 Lite, which at the time was a good price of £90. However, the battery has given up the ghost, so she wants something newer.

She fancies a Motorola, with a much bigger battery, as she always seems to be low on charge (even before the battery cashed in its chips).

I have looked at the Moto G7 Power, which has a 5Ah battery. It is the previous Gen of the Moto series, but is closer to the budget. It is listed on the Argos site for £135, but seems to be completely unavailable.

The other one I have looked at is Motorola One Macro (4Ah). This is a similar price.

Also, I have seen the latest Gen. Moto G8 Power Lite. It looks good, but some reviews are scathing; if anyone has one of these I'd be really interested in their views.

Her budget is £100, but I'm happy to toss a bit into the pot if need be, up to £140.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Well, I'll kick off the inevitable, you and your family seem to go through mobiles and tablets the way most go through bog paper !

Heck of a lot cheaper to get a new battery and a back up power pack.
Although, not been any where beyond half an hours drive since mid-March I haven't needed mine for a good while, and I don't know where it is now.
I think mine would do about 4 or 5 charges before needing to be recharged. It's never left me without power for the phone.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, Eddie, for that observation! There are 5 of us, which probably bumps up the frequency.

Yes, the kids are always breaking their phones, but we haven't had a great turnover.

Mrs Secure's current phone dates to June 2015, so 5 years is not bad use.

My first phone was bought in June 2013, then I got a bigger one in June 2016. That one died earlier this year, so I have bought a cheap Chinese phone to be going on with.

That battery is for the 2017 model, Mrs Secure's is the 2015 model.

Did consider replacing the battery, but wanted to update and get a newer spec.

Highly recommended the Moto G7 Play.
3 in our family now. £130, does everything you need quickly.

I can only comment on the battery - I have an xiaomi redmi note pro 8 with the 4.5ah battery and it will last a day easily with lots of usage (amazon do pay monthly deals - Mine was £50 for 4 months)

Thanks.

The G7 Play was deemed a little too small.

I have used the website versus.com to compare each phone.

You probably think I am overthinking this, but please bear with.

For this comparison, I have chosen two phones at the top of our budget.

One comes out with the lowest score of the whole group, of 56.

The other comes out with a score of 67, one point below the G7 Play and 4 points below another phone chosen as its versus.com score was the highest, though it is £45 over the maximum budget. Score-wise, I wanted to compare the phones in budget to those outside the budget.

If I list the specs of two phones, on paper, which would you choose, not knowing each phone's score?

Phone A:

6.5", dual SIM, 720x1600 res (269ppi), Mediatek MT6765 Helio P35 (4 x 2.3 A53 + 4 x 1.8 A53), 4 RAM/ 64 ROM, 16/2/2 rear cam, 8 front cam, 5Ah battery, micro USB.

Phone B:

6.2", dual SIM, 720x1520 res (270ppi), Mediatek MT6771 Helio P70 (4 x 2.0 A73 + 4 x 2.0 A53), 4 RAM/ 64 ROM, 13/2/2 rear cam, 8 front cam, 4Ah battery, type C USB.

If it makes any difference, A was released in April this year and B in October last year.

Phone A - I like a larger screen and longer battery life if...? However micro USB is a pain - USB C is much better...

Yeah, my thoughts entirely.
USB C is a much more positive connection.

Ive had a G7 power since before xmas and the battery life is phenomenal.My son was so impressed he's chucked his iphone and bought one as he was fed up with it poor lasting battery

I had to replace my phone because of the usb connection, often woje up with no battery

Sponsored Links
Back