Anyone heard of or used the Aqua Bion water softener?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been researching solutions and was going down the route of the twin tank salt block systems, but these cost around £750+ with annual running costs of £60+

The aqua bion has no running costs and should last 5-7 years and is about half the cost of the twin tank unit...

http://aquabion-uk.com

The Aquabion water conditioner system is based on a proven patented technology, with an international track record of successful installations in a wide range of domestic and industrial situations. The system uses zinc sacrificial anodes that release zinc ions which react with calcium to form aragonite. Thus preventing limescale buildup and forming a thin protective layer. There is no other product on the market which can use this technology and there have been many independent tests which confirm that Aquabion is safe and highly effective.

Water treated by the Aquabion water conditioner is perfectly drinkable and still includes all the essential minerals that occur naturally.

Sponsored Links
Very suspicious and doubtful.

I notice you can only look at their alleged independent test results if you give your name and email address to their spam-harvester.

The web page suggests the device is junk after 7 years.

It is described as a conditioner not a softener.

It is described as a conditioner not a softener.

Sorry, I misrepresented that info...

Apparantly:
The zinc’s presence causes the limescale to crystallize as needle-like crystals (aragonite) instead of blocks (calcite). This change in crystallization property in water is sustained.

Why cant things be simple!

Hi DM,

I am no expert and admitedly I'm a pesimist at the best of times :oops: :LOL: however doing a little research the AQB product seems to show good support from a number of building companies and some architects promoting the product into new builds.

The product may only be a conditioner as opposed to a softner, but it's claimed that its is WRAS approved, in addition knowing how anal "Za Germans" are about engineering, control and approvals, if they have awarded it certifications, then there must be some value into the claims.

The professionals in this forum often complain pulbicly about how far behind the UK is in terms of the available central heating technology to the Main-lander's and the fact that some technology is made available to the UK market years after it has been available on the mainland. So just because the product isn't well known in the UK marketplace doesn't necessarily mean that it is carp ;)

As always though, it pays to do your home work. As such I would contact the manufacturer and ask for copies of approvals and certificates to be made available as well as UK client references that can actually be followed up.

If after all that the results are not as expected, the manufacturer is offering a 1 year money back guarantee, therefore the risk in monetary terms is only down to the plumber labour and your inconvenience if the product turns out to be a turnip in disguise ;)

I will certainly be looking into it a bit more and will do my own research as I think there may be some value in having this.

Thanks for the heads up ;)

Hum

Sponsored Links
WRAS is a UK organisation.

I will guess that they have tested and confirmed that it doesn't leak. That is not the same as confirming that it works.

I have a real water softener, and it's great.

WRAS is a UK organisation.

I have a real water softener, and it's great.

Stating the obvious in the first count, but I edited how it reads for your benefit and for others. I'm happy for you, on the second. :mrgreen:

With regards to the other statement, guess is exactly that. My guess is that it has been tested for safety in terms of human consumption seeing as drinking water is being passed through the device, apart from the obvious, but neither you nor I know or understand their process, so all we can do is guess. ;)

Whether it delivers on functionality is speculation on both our parts without direct experience, hence why I suggest requesting access to real world references.

"Real" suggests that you have a softener in the physical form, which in turn implies that its not a figment of your imagination, nevertheless that could be anything :p

The one question that I have for you is, can you drink the water once it has been treated/softened?

Hum

but real softened water affects the neural synapses in the brain :eek:

knowing how anal "Za Germans" are about engineering

Twaddle.

I notice you can only look at their alleged independent test results if you give your name and email address to their spam-harvester

And why is this report not a page on on their website?

There is no other product on the market which can use this technology and there have been many independent tests which confirm that Aquabion is safe and highly effective.

Never heard of myself, so there can't be that many.

Totally agree with JD on this. Very suspicious. It might work... but it might be as much use as a PTFE ;).

Its not a softner is doesnt removel the hardness just turns gives all the scale the same charge, remember school magnets like poles repell. it would work okay for instant heaters, but after a short period the scale will revert back and stick together again and build up. If you want soft water buy a water softner. lots of deals lots of makes lots of choice.
PS i used to sell softners and conditioners.

It really depends what you are looking for. If you want to prevent a few limescale deposits forming, some of these conditioners are believed to make a difference. Possibly.

If you are looking to get nice soft water and you live in a hard water area, that is a different requirement and for this you need a softener. You will have to fill it with salt and it will cost a few £100 more than the first option.

If you for a 'softener' make sure it isn't connected to fill your heating system.

PS: drinking significant quatities of softened water is not a good idea. Like all salty things, it will affect your health if injested in large quantities.

softened water does not contain salt. If it does then your water softener is broken and needs to be thrown away or repaired.

Softened water does however contain a tiny amount of sodium bicarbonate (the stuff found in indigestion remedies). People on kidney dialysis, and formula-fed babies, on restricted sodium diets, should avoid softened water.

Sadly I have not got the figures to hand, but IIRC the amount of sodium you would consume by drinking softened water all day, is less than is contained in a slice of bread, a bowl of cornflakes, a dollop of tomato ketchup, or an indigestion tablet.

Why do you want to soften your water?
Is it to prevent the build up of lime scale in your pipes to protect against limescale or to protect your appliances?
The latter can be dealt with in most instances by anti calc tablets... as for the pipes... will the purchase cost and accumulated running costs of the unit, plus the disposal costs for the saline, outweigh the eventual replacement of any furred up pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back