Anyone installed an Ecobee3 thermostat in U.K./ Europe?

Sponsored Links
Hi @MurthyBruit, @wcavanagh and @Petar57 - I'm hoping to pick your collective brains so I can explain to our electrician (or find an electrician who has installed an ecobee who they can talk too).

My husband did all the research and insisted on getting an ecobee - our electrician has said he can't/won't install it - so I need to find someone else who will.

Martyn - you said you have an electrician who works out of Stoke that understands this - I'm not unfortunately near stoke but if you were able to give me a number so I could talk to them (and then get my electrician to talk to them too - hopefully we can learn from all the hard work you have all been doing!)

Keeping fingers and toes crossed you are still around on the forum and can help us as I've hit a dead end.

Thanks!

@VCDubs1 - this thread is 7 years old and might not be relevant to your situation. Best creating your own thread to get relevant answers. There’s an electrics sub-forum who sometimes dip into this on too. Do you have the exact same boiler and setup?

My husband did all the research and insisted on getting an ecobee - our electrician has said he can't/won't install it - so I need to find someone else who will.
I think you need to sack your husband! ;)

The device @MurthyBruit links to:

Is quite a neat solution - from a mains input, it provides a 24V supply to the EcoBee, and takes the switched 24V output and converts it to a switched live to control a UK boiler.

An electrician should be able to figure out how to connect it (the time taken will undoubtedly increase their cost!), but it will need a suitable enclosure (again at a cost!).

...and the device itself, isn't cheap at £73!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
...and just for clarity, here's a slightly simpler diagram for an electrician ;) :

image18.jpg

This is for use with an RC840T-240 and a boiler with a switched live call for heat.
The mains voltage connections to the RC840T-240 should be made within a suitable enclosure.
Its power supply should be fed from the same source as the boiler, i.e. the boilers FCU - although all the relevant connections may be available from an existing thermostat.
Beware, the RC840T-240 is built by a reputable manufacturer, but is not intended for use in this country; hence non-standard use of a black wire for the Live connection. As such it does not appear to have a CE mark (neither does the EcoBee!) - although it does also seem to be marketed under the Honeywell brand and is compatible with 230V AC @ 50Hz.

Attachments

• RC840T-Install.pdf
    534.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back