Anyone know what the running costs for this heater are

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what the running costs for this heater are. Its a Redring Suntube 180W.

Sponsored Links
assuming it consumes 180w per hour
you take the cost of 1 unit of electricity and divide by 5.6 or appreoximatly 4 units per 24hrs continuos use or between 1 and 1.5p per hour

but 180w will not heat a room

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/43699/Heating-Cooling/Electric-Heating/Redring-Suntube-180W

in a conservitory for example you would need 2 or 3 kw[3000w] to overcome the winter cold and a minimum of 1000w to keep the temperature about 12 degrees if the outside is a few degrees below freezing

Thanks for the info, most helpful. I know these small wattage heaters are only for background warmth. I have one of them now its a 120 watt model heating a small porch mainly to keep damp at bay, which its done brilliantly. I thought with this cold spell a little bit more warmth wouldnt go amiss. So i as going to upgrade to a new 180 watt version but i have to keep in mind that the porch heater is left on 24/7 during the winter. I started to work out the running costs with British gas but lost patience with the way they charge. Patience not being one of my strong points at the moment. Anyway thanks again for the info.

if you assume you use 4 units a day at say 7p a unit thats around 30p a day £2.10p a week £8.40 a month or for 3 months £25!!!!

a bit off ventilation may be a cheaper way to remove the dampness!!!

Sponsored Links
Yeah, ventilation would be the cheapest, but maybe not the best solution. I will give you some info on the porch so you can see what i need to achieve. The porch is attached to the living room, entry to the porch from the living room is via a a glass panel door (glass top and bottom) so some heat is necessary otherwise that area of the living room is a bit of a cold spot. It also means the heating in the living room coming on more frequently. So i am looking at it being a necessary evil so to speak. Thanks for the extra figures by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back