Anyone know what the traffic is normally like on Christmas Day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to travel along the M4, M25, and M11 starting around dawn on Christmas Day, anyone know what the traffic is normally like?

Sponsored Links
i have never been around the north part of m25 on xmas day, in the late afternoon often travelled on the south part again many years ago.

I suspect it may be busier then expected, but if its around dawn, should be OK , I suspect a lot more travel particularly this year , as more people will be travelling to meet up at Christmas while they can, before any lockdown after xmas.

Boxing day on M25 is usually a nightmare, south side J9 around dartford tunnel.
For many years our in-laws travelled from chelmsford to Leatherhead on boxing day, and took them usually 3+hours that morning. And I travelled from Leatherhead to Maidstone around 8am on the day after boxing day and back around 10:30am picking up my mother , and it was always very very busy.

Sponsored Links
Did a 52 mile round trip today (25th) on mostly major roads & found the traffic about the same as a normal late morning weekday.

I left at 6.45 am, and there was very little traffic all the way, the density hardly changed all the way, however there was more traffic in the anti-clockwise direction on the M25, ie towards London Airport, but again not excessive.

EDIT: traveled back on Sunday 9 Jan, leaving at 8 am and there wasn’t much traffic then either.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back