anyone know www.decorate4less.co.uk - can they be this cheap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am attempting to buy polyvine wax finish varnish 4L (clear) and there are a limited number of suppliers in the UK online that I can find (6 in total).

decorate4less.co.uk is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than all the others (the other 5 are much the same) and I am weary for this reason. I cannot find any reviews of them online and wonder if anyone knows them or better still has traded with them. If your interested the price comparisons are below - make for interesting thoughts as to how decorate4less can sell at this price. All prices have been adjusted to include VAT for comparison and exclude delivery costs, which vary only slightly

Polyvine's own shop - £53.24
DIY direct - £52.87
Decorators warehouse - £47.49
Ackos DIY - £52.63
Ebay (Acko's) - £47.79

DECORATE4LESS - £34.06

Can they really be trusted as selling the genuine product for such a lower price?

Would really appreciate some expert thoughts

Sponsored Links
I have never used them but just had a quick look at their site.

many of their prices are higher than i would normally pay so in some respects that makes me feel more confident about them being legit.

they seem to have a number of sites

eg

http://wallpaperorders.com/contact.htm

and

http://www.woodcaredirect.co.uk/contact.cfm

with the addresses listed as

Oozewood Road
Royton
Oldham
UK
OL2 5SQ

and

Units 5 & 6 Margram Business centre
Horne St
Halifax
West Yorkshire
HX1 5UA

Domain searches list the regisitrant as Peter Adams

I for one woud phone them first. then pay with a credit card rather than debit card.

It is not uncommon to find one or two products at much lower prices than elsewhere. Double check the remaining shelf life though- it might be reaching the end of it.

I am attempting to buy polyvine wax finish varnish 4L (clear) and there are a limited number of suppliers in the UK online that I can find (6 in total).

decorate4less.co.uk is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than all the others (the other 5 are much the same) and I am weary for this reason. I cannot find any reviews of them online and wonder if anyone knows them or better still has traded with them. If your interested the price comparisons are below - make for interesting thoughts as to how decorate4less can sell at this price. All prices have been adjusted to include VAT for comparison and exclude delivery costs, which vary only slightly

DIY direct - £52.87
Ackos DIY - £52.63
Ebay (Acko's) - £47.79

DECORATE4LESS - £34.06

Can they really be trusted as selling the genuine product for such a lower price?

Did you ever use this company, as I have just got a quote for wallpaper from them and I am a bit suspicious?
Thanks

DIY direct - £52.87
Ackos DIY - £52.63
Ebay (Acko's) - £47.79

DECORATE4LESS - £34.06

Did you ever use this company, as I have just got a quote for wallpaper from them and I am a bit suspicious?
Thanks

ive bought off them a few times they are spot on fast delivery and good advice I think woodcaredirect have been going for 30 + years

Sponsored Links

DIY direct - £52.87
Ackos DIY - £52.63
Ebay (Acko's) - £47.79

DECORATE4LESS - £34.06

IVE DEALT WITH THEM THEY ARE VERY GOOD AND CHEAP TOO

It's not common knowledge but you do get protection with a debit card. If you buy something that doesn't turn up or you realise you've been had, ring your bank and tell them. They will then after 30 days recover your money direct from the bank account that your money went in to. I think its called debit cash back or something, i had to do it when i got had over a gearbox by a bunch of crooks and my bank got all the money back.

Thought you guys would appreciate knowing that you don't have to use a credit card.

Oh and i mainly use decorating direct and trade 1st, never had a problem with either.

hi dcdec

I have never heard of the feature to which you refer. I have heard of the direct debit guarantee. Which to be frank is effing *******s. I tried to call it into play when i was "scammed" by a certain insurance racket (see my sig). Barclays tried to recall the monies but the other end just refused to honour the whole arrangement.

i hope that what you say is correct but I do have my doubts, sorry but i have been stung by other scumbags in the past and my bank have just shrugged their shoulders.

Can you provide more info please?

many thanks

Ahhh....

i think you are referring to charge backs.

I/we also sell dog supplements online. From time to time we have customers who see their cc card/db card statements, forget that they ordered from us and report transactions to their bank. Our gateway people send us a charge-back letter asking us to confirm that the order was legit. If we dont answer in 7 day, they automatically take the money from our account and refund the card holder (as well as taking the commission!).

Other than that you are covered by the distance selling act which gives you a grace period to say, nah I don't really want this, but you are liable for the return postage,

AFAIK only credit card give you protections with regard to the merchantable quality if goods. If you buy something that is crap the c/c firm has to take up things on your behalf. To the best of my knowledge the is is not in the remit of banks, and thus debit card payments processing charges are preferable to merchants . I guess that is why it is way cheaper for retailers to process debit card payments- we pay pennies per order, rather than a percentage on credit cards.

regards

Hi Opps,

I wish i could remember the exact name but i think it is called chargeback but i'll tell you what happend with me.

I ordered a gearbox after a google search, found one, rang the company and ordered it using my visa debit card. As time went by the excuses started coming and i got suspicious so googled the company and found page after page of bad stories about this company scamming hundreds of people for parts they didnt even have.

So i rang my bank Lloyds tsb and told them the story and asked them to instigate the visa debit cashback 'thing' and they said that after thirty days if i hadn't been reinbursed by the company they would take the money directly from the bank account that my money had been paid in to. True to their word the money appeared in my bank account exactly 30 days later.

Here's a link

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/

The way the article reads it makes it all sound like a bit of a headache but i have to say my bank were really good and the whole thing was hassle free.

It was a couple of years ago for me and at the time it wasn't common knowledge about chargeback, hopefully people are now a bit more aware, including bank staff. Worth noting though that as far as i'm aware this only applies to Visa, if you have a different card you'll need to investigate a bit, hope this helps

They are based in Halifax and I bought designer wallpaper off them for half the price.
Its not a posh shop, bit messy but the stuff is spot on and definitely legit.

I would recommend them for sure.
Now you probably think that I work for them don't you???

Well I don't. I just like to compliment and recommend good service when I receive it as in this day and age, it is a rare commodity.
:eek:

Hi Honeyz

It is a tad odd though that your first (and currently only) post is to big up a company that was last mentioned a couple of months ago.

Anyway, welcome to DiyNot.

Hiya opps
Why is it odd? I am currently redecorating my bedroom. A few years ago I was doing my lounge and bought brian yates wallpaper from decorate 4 less.Acutally I went to their store in halifax and then bought from them. Anyway like I said, I am looking for another paper which is by portfolio and it is the nature collection. So far iv been quoted £38.75 by someone else So I was back on the net trying to get the no for decorate 4 less again and lo and behold I found this website. Anyway Iv emailed them yesterday for price but they havnt got bak to me yet...
Anyway like I said I found this site and
So I thought well enough stuff is said about bad companies and this company are actually quite good, so why not tell ppl about it. Maybe if we named and shamed bad companies and also recommended good companies, then companies would care a lot more about customer services.
Which may I say is going down the u knw wot these days...
So that explains it and now its not that odd is it???
;)

Hi Honeyz

A plausible defence- not that you needed to defend yourself.

I can confirm that this post is listed directly below them in the google uk results for "decorate 4 less"

Apologies for my earlier cynicism.

Hiya opps
Yeh I knw i didnt hav to defend my self
BUT im one of those defenders of the earth type of ppl.
AH well Good for decorate for less now theyv got more ppl reading bout them...
All exposure is good exposure right...:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back