Anyone left electric heater, oven, etc.. on while abroad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone on here has or knows some one who has ever raked up a huge bill after leaving a high power appliance on while on holiday?

Note, I never have.

Sponsored Links
I have a workmate who left the iron on and it went in fire and gutted 6 flats plus the two flats on each side of his as he was top floor it also took the roof. I think he would have prefered a big electricity bill !

Another went on holiday and the washer on the hot tap in the bathroom went the tap ran for a week as did the combi boiler
very big gas bill, and all the wallpaper was steamed of the wall in the hall ! :eek:

Regards,

DS

A pump taking water from a well into a roof tank was running for three weeks after a manual over-ride was left ON

Passepartout left the gas lamp on in his room when he departed with Phineas Fogg for his trip round the world.

Sponsored Links
Not a huge bill but ....

While replacing a failed lamp on our upper landing, I spotted a chink of light shinning through the corner of the loft hatch.....the loft lights (3 x 125W T12 tubes & 2 x 80W T12's) where merrily glowing away!

Then it dawned on me.... I hadn't been up in the loft since a 'quick' visit to check on the central heating header tank at the start of winter...... 7 months ago!

I spotted a **** of light
Are the **** a rude word that the auto censor removed ?

The mind boggles if it was

If so what was that word ?

( change each letter to the next in the alphabet nice becomes ojdf )

Hmmm ...didn't spot that ... the word I typed was 'c-h-I-n-k' as in ... of light!

It seems that auto censor got a little excited!

Yeah, I had hot water pipe to my bathroom sink go when on holiday... switched on the combi boiler... pumped hot water in to my house for a week.... kitchen ceiling down... flooded downstairs, steam damage to every room upstairs.... horrible.

I noted reading cooker instructions it will auto turn off the rings after set time but same is not true for oven and grill.

Biggest expense I left running while abroad was a wife and three children.

It's not only people but firms as well. Cammell Laird hired a pump for 5 years from SLD pumps pumping out a basin which was open to the sea only found out when it failed and tripped out a circuit board.

I had a job in a wood pulp manufacturer looking or electric and steam going to outlying buildings as there were sure there were pumps and defrost systems running but not required.

We traced one set to a private house. Seem the chief engineer lived their until his death the firm were very good they allowed the window 14 days to arrange alternative lighting and heating.

On the Falklands two 250 kVA generators running full time supplying offices and workshop but could only account for around 100 kVA found rest going into a denso tape cable joint found it when it snowed and dug centre of melted patch.

Just wondering if anyone on here has or knows some one who has ever raked up a huge bill after leaving a high power appliance on while on holiday?

Assuming a 2.2KW element and 10p per KWh and a 14 day holiday, I make that about £73.92. This assumes the element is on constantly, which of course it will turn off once the oven reaches temperature. I'm not sure what the duty cycle would likely be, so haven't accounted for it.

I was one in a club where they left the GCH on one Thursday evening. Fortunately we happened to be in Saturday or Sunday morning so spotted it. No idea of the heating bill but it was seriously hot in there!

A good few moons ago, a neighbour of mine somehow left a pillar drill running is his garage for a few days. When he discovered it, it was still 'spinning' fine and did not seem to have come to any harm!

Kind Regards, John

Yeah, I had hot water pipe to my bathroom sink go when on holiday... switched on the combi boiler... pumped hot water in to my house for a week.... kitchen ceiling down... flooded downstairs, steam damage to every room upstairs.... horrible.

Don't people turn the main stop cock off when they go away any more? My father always did and I always do for this very reason.

I note with interest my fridge/freezer has a vacation mode where the freezer works as normal but the fridge can rise to I think from memory 16°C which is low enough to stop mould forming but saves power.

I have never gone on holiday for long enough to completely empty the fridge likely some blocks of cheese or other long term items but clearly some people most empty fridge before going on holiday?

My father and mother in law would go to Spain for the winter so long term vacation of the house but also my wife was programmed to go in and check and I would think any long term vacation would involve some one to check mail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back