Anyone used a rotary sieve (Trommel)?

Did this in my garden using a home made 'reciplicating saw attached to a green garden sieve' lashup.

We have dry sandy soil so was easy job for the 'machine'.

But in hindsght should have bought that machine, but had finished with my lashup by then.

Made a great difference to our flower beds and for us was definitely worth doing.

You need to set up a 'system' so you have your original soil going in, your sieved soil going back into the hole and somewhere to put the stones. And then move the process down the garden.

Warning that you will have a lot of stones very quickly. So need to make a pile where it can be easily got rid of, or you will make a pile and then have to move the pile again. We made pile on drive and got grab claw company to remove it. (About half a skips worth).

Sfk

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dig a hole and bury them :)

But on a serious note; anyone local to you need hardcore?

Reactions: SFK
I was wondering if one would be suitable to improve the flinty clay of my "lawn" without having the whole lot dug out and replaced with new.
Don't know of this would happen in your case but something that happens over the allotment is that when you have sieved your soil and have a nice 12” of sieved topsoil, within a year or two it will need doing again - the deeper stones and bits seem to find their way up to the top layer. Don’t know how that happens but it does although our allotments used to be a tip years ago and there is a lot of broken pottery as well as those small glass medicine bottles that they used to use years ago.

Sponsored Links
Stones/objects don’t “work their way up” , so much as the finer materials wash down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back