Anyone used Creocote & have photo/s of the results?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm toying between the Cuprinol Ducksback & Creocote.

Ducksback i can obviously have a range of colours, but it's water based & i'm wondering if Creocote would be better since it's oil based .......... just that it's brown.

I've also got a bit to do & i don't think you can spray Ducksback but i read that you can with Creocote. I could go with a brush approach, it isn't a must that it's spray but it would obviously help.

Had a look in B&Q yesterday & saw they had dark brown & light brown shades.

Any fence panels, gates & the like that i'll be painting up will be that tanalised wood which has that green tinge (for a while) so if you've painted that sort of wood then even better.

Hopefully there's some of you on here who has used this stuff & has photos.
Also please say if you applied it over another colour or whether it was direct to bare wood, as i imagine it'll turn out a bit different if you're putting it over say Red Cedar or some green colour or whatever.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The creosote you can buy these days is actually a creosote substitute - real coil tar creosote is banned for domestic use in the EU. As usual with these things, the substitute is nothing like as effective as the original. Having said that, the original creosote was bl**dy horrible stuff which not only stank for a long period after application but could kill or stunt any plants growing in close proximity. But it was an extremely good preservative.
I expect the B&Q 'creosote' will act as a brown stain the same as the original. It will bleach out over time especially where it's in direct sunlight. If your timber is already tanalised then it won't make much difference to the life of the fence - rot usually occurs in areas where moisture is trapped or where the wood is in contact with the soil - just the very areas that are difficult to treat effectively. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

As it turns out, the place that i work seems to sell the 'proper' stuff. Labelled up as Creoseal 100% coal tar.

I got myself a sample & painted up some test pieces. Smelled beautiful. They weren't joking when they said 100% coal tar too!!!

The fence panels will be on base panels. The gate will just be to a wooden gate post & the base wont be touching anything & it's all tannalised wood which is claimed to be good for 15 years, so i may not go with the Coal Tar stuff & just lump for some ducksback maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back