Can't Paint Over Ducksback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is driving me mad, and I can't find a single page online about it so apparently it's just me. :)

I'm painting our summerhouse, and I got a few tester pots before I picked my colour, all cuprinol 'garden shades' which is a wax-enriched paint like ducksback.

The trouble is, now when I try to paint over the patches, the paint just rolls off it, a bit like water off a ducks back. How on earth do you paint over ducksback? The summerhouse is made from treated timber so I'd rather not be trying to sand it, would boiling water remove the waxes, or acetone maybe? Has no one else ever come up against this problem, really??? :)

Any help would be very much appreciated...

Jenny

Sponsored Links
Good advert for ducksback - so it works, then :D

I suspect you'll need to sand it pretty mercilessly before you can paint it...

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, that's what I thought, I'd rather not be sanding it if I could avoid it so I'll give Cuprinol a call and see what they recommend, and if it's anything helpful I'll post it here.

It specifically says on the testers that the colour might be different if you don't paint onto the actual surface you're going to do the final paint job on too.. Great advice, if you want your final job to have big splodges where you put the tester pots on.. Thank you Cuprinol.. :) But yes, fantastic paint, I bet the rain will roll off it just the same as the damn coat of paint I'm trying to apply... ;)

I use these waxy stains a lot. You can recoat quickly, while the previous coat is soft, or after a few years when eroded.

However you can soften the gloss by brushing a fresh coat on and working it vigourously to and fro. The solvent in the liquid stain softens the cured wax. You may need to quickly apply several coats to hide the old colour.

Thanks guys, I think rubbing it with a duck probably has as much chance of working as any of my ideas.. ;) I'll try painting over it with a stiffer brush and rubbing the new paint in a bit and see how that goes, I was using a soft brush and painted in a single stroke only to watch the paint vanishing before my eyes.

This is the reply from Cuprinol, fantastic customer service, and the girl has even offered to come round and help, I'll be emailing her to ask her what day suits her and I'll make the teas while she gets on with it. :)

Thank you for your email.

Garden Shades is a high build water based woodstain but it does contain a concentration of added waxes which will sit on the surface of the wood. This barrier helps shed water from the surface, however if you want to re-coat to change the colour (before the coating has been allowed to weather) then there maybe a requirement to rub down the surface. I would recommned you use a hand held stiff brush wihich will help etch into the surface.

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back