Painting one side of a fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of questions really... I had a new fence put up in October. The wood is what I'd call rough sawn and is apparently 'pressure treated' and has a light golden brown colour to it. Having sawn through a bit, the colouring des not run through the wood, it's more like a surface coating. For added protection and a more uniform finish I plan to paint it.

1. Given that it's already been pressure treated does that impact upon what type of paint I need to use?

2. I can only really paint one side of it (due to neightbour's garden!) but I've read that only painting one side can lead to problems with the paint lifting off as water comes in via the unpainted side. Is this more a problem with some paints rather than others? I'd planned to buy Cuprinol Ducksback but as this leaves a waxy finish the last thing I want is it blistering up when it rains.

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
A Cuprinol type of spirit based treatment is good as it soaks into the timber. Wickes do a dark brown which I find is very good. You could also ask your neighbour if you could treat their side of the fence.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back