protecting the base of timber fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've installed wooden fence posts as I much prefer the look of them to concrete, they allegedly pre-treated but following advice on here I stood them in a trough full of Cuprinol Preserver for a week and gave loads of thick flowing coats.

Now they're planted in place, I was going to use a 'Ducksback' type fence paint and paint them again - my thinking was the preserver as the base treatment which penetrates the wood, then the ducksback type stuff over the top to protect - its oil based I think?

Anyway, seeing as they rot off at the base where it meets the floor I was thinking of doing 1 of 2 things.

1) apply some waxoyl (the stuff used for cars) as its very good for repelling water. Could this damage the wood in any way as its designed for metal/car use?

2) Alternatively, some kind of decking oil?

Whats the best thing to do?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Ducksback is a waxy emulsion stain. When fresh, it throws rain off without wetting the wood. The makers claim it lasts 5 years. I don't think it will do any good underground or in standing water as I presume it is breathable.

I recently treated some outdoor timber with linseed oil (do a search) and am rather pleased with it. It soaks in and repels water. The first few coats are thinned with white spirit to help them soak in. i don't know if the white spirit will displace your cuprinol - try their help line if you are using anything unusual.

My shiplap cladding is cuprinol clear, then several coats of waxy stain, which is very easy to recoat.
see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60257&highlight=shiplap

Sponsored Links
You can apply the linseed oil without white spirit if you heat it, or apply heat to the wood afterwards. Best is to dip in 150 deg C oil, but that's a bit difficult for occasional use. (This doesn't make it "boiled" linsed oil)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back