Spirit-based preserver over Cuprinol timbercare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently built a fruitcage and used a product from my local builders' yard called "Blackfriars Wood Preservative Gold Star" (this stuff). As far as I can make out it is based on white spirit or similar as it is very runny and soaks into wood like mad.

It soaked into the wood really nicely, really deep if you cut through a piece that's been pre-soaked. It wasn't messy either as it just soaks into the wood.

I have a fence that was painted with Cuprinol timbercare, and recoating it is an absolute PITA. It's like trying to paint wax paper.

So, I was hoping to try using the Blackfriar stuff but wasn't sure if it would soak through the Cuprinol. Has anyone tried overcoating Cuprinol with such a stain? Alternatively, am I doing something wrong with the Cuprinol?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
If the timbercare you have used is one of those water-based shed-and-fence stains, they leavy a waxy water-repellent layer on the wood, which is how they protect it. When fresh this is very difficult to overcoat, unless you do it the same day before it has hardened.

If you leave it to weather for a year or two it will be easy to apply further coats of a similar stain.

However if you wanted to use a spirit wood preserver you should have applied it and let it dry before applying the stain.

What makes you want to apply a preserver now, after it has been stained?

Well, when we did the fence the neighbour chipped in half for the fence (it's actually my fence) and he fancied this particular Cuprinol, so I felt as he had offered to chip in half it was only fair. That was approx 2 years ago, and the fence is currently at the point of needing some maintenance.

Now that I am trying to overcoat with the exact same Cuprinol, I am absolutely hating it. It really doesn't go on nicely, and I am wondering if they make it like that so people give up and buy the sprayer!

So was hoping I would be able to use the spirit-based stuff but wasn't sure if it would soak through the waxiness. Perhaps I should persist with the Cuprinol.

Sponsored Links
if it is two years old I would have expected it to be weathered enough to lose its waxy gloss.

One thing that does happen, as you brush it to and fro, the solvent in the new stain starts to soften the old coating so that it is wetted and you can apply it easier. When this happens apply two or three coats in quick succession so it does not have time to go fully hard and waxy.

If you have any bare or eroded patches, the stain will stick to thenm easier.

I usually wash down first, with a soft broom, hot water, bit of washing up liquid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back