Is Cuprinol Clear Wood Preserver a gigantic ripoff?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three years ago I treated my fences with Cuprinol Clear Wood Preserver. I used seven 5 litre cans which cost around £45 each. I didn't keep any empty cans but I am pretty certain that it was a solvent based product and was sold as a self-contained five year treatment.

The fences are in excellent condition after three years and I was on the verge of ordering another seven cans, seeing the price is about the same. But then I noticed something on the website. The product is water based, not solvent based, and there is no mention of how long the treatment is supposed to last. Worse, the text on the can says that after the Wood Preserver is applied it has to be painted over. So I would be paying £45 for 5 litres of water-based undercoat. Not only is it not what I want, it sounds like a ripoff.

All comments welcome. Please tell me if my memory is at fault.

Sponsored Links
You have used the wrong product for the job.

I don't think Cuprinol can be blamed for that.

It is intended to protect against insect and rot, but it is not a paint or water repellent stain.

Typically used indoors

I'm glad to hear you've read the label now

Yes, it used to be solvent based.

Apart from the posts, fences do not usually need a preservative, because they are so thin, and exposed, that they are temporarily drenched with water during rain, and dry out quickly afterwards.

Fenceposts rot around ground level, where they have long-term damp and air content at just the right proportions

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have used the wrong product for the job.

I don't think Cuprinol can be blamed for that.

It is intended to protect against insect and rot, but it is not a paint or water repellent stain.

Typically used indoors

I'm glad to hear you've read the label now

Yes, it used to be solvent based.

Apart from the posts, fences do not usually need a preservative, because they are so thin, and exposed, that they are temporarily drenched with water during rain, and dry out quickly afterwards.

Fenceposts rot around ground level, where they have long-term damp and air content at just the right proportions
I don't have the original tins but I am sure it was recommended for garden fences. My fences have quite substantial horizontal pieces as well as posts, which will certainly rot without protection.

Barrentine wood protector, comes in clear and colours. On sale in tool station (other suppliers are available) for £20 for 5 litres.

Barrentine wood protector, comes in clear and colours. On sale in tool station (other suppliers are available) for £20 for 5 litres.
Thanks Old Salt, this looks like an equivalent to the original Cuprinol (and much cheaper)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back