Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear for fence end grain treatment? Does Ensele Green dry clear?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have some fencing and other bits around the garden which have been done in pressure treated timber and have freshly cut exposed end grains. I've come across Ensele before and know that Ronseal also do a specific end grain treatment, but I'd much prefer a clear finish and am having a little trouble finding that. The reason is because I have tried a "green" end grain preserver before; not Ensele. I have read that the colour fades after application but the with the one I used it didn't - hence why I'm after clear. But has anyone used the Ensele Green (which I can get locally) and if so how much did the green colour fade after application?

Also, I've just spoken to Cuprinol and they suggested their Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear for the job:

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/wood_preserver_clear_(bp).jsp

It is not marketed specifically for pressure treated/tanalised timber end grain treatment, but it does seem as it might do what I need.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this would be as good as the Ensele etc?

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
Loads of choice out there Max but personally I'd avoid the Cuprinol and head for the Sadolin shelf......just my opinion.
John :)

Cuprinol preserver is very good for preventing worm and rot. It is not a paint or water repellent so in the garden you will presumably be applying a waxy fence stain after it has dried.

Thanks for the replies....

We won't be applying any other treatments or finishes as we want to go for the natural look and are therefore hoping for the wood to grey with age (in fact, we wish it would hurry up!)

I'm guessing that the tanalised timber in the garden is not water repellent either but I really have no idea! I just know that after it rains it goes a darker colour and the water does not bead on the surface as it does for timber painted or finished in any other way with a water repellent finish.

So with that in mind, will the Cuprinol Wood Preserver bring the end grain/cut sections up to a similar performance/protection as the parts of the wood that have not been cut?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, it will protect from worm and rot.

If there is no weather protection I imagine it will eventually leach out or weather away and need to be recoated. I find upward-facing shakes and knots enable rainwater to penetrate and start inner rot.

Hi again

I see that the Enesle stuff is very specifically designed for the purpose of treating the cut ends of tanalised timber. Whereas the Cuprinol and similar are more just for general wood preservation against rot etc. How the technologies of the different products work I don't know. And whether the Ensele is similar stuff packaged/marketed in a different way, or whether it is something completely different, I really don't know. Does anyone here know?

With regards my initial concern about the green colour staying green, I was about to call them to discuss when I saw this handy video and it answered all my questions:

http://www.archtimberprotection.com/ensele/

Thought I'd post it here in case anyone stumbles upon this wondering how green the green Ensele is.

Now the only other thing is that Ensele is more expensive. So whether it is worth the extra £ I guess depends on the answers to the above questions about how it compares....

Would be great to know.

Cheers!

Just a quick update... I used Ensele Green in the end, after watching the video on their website showing how it dries to a much light colour. Was very pleased with the results and product overall.

If anyone comes across this thread in the future and wants to pick my brains on the subject, or see photos, etc. please feel free to get in touch to ask.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back