Anything to recover old screw holes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This landlady has a lodger whose room door handle is falling off because the wood door has oversized screw holes.

Many years ago "Plastic Wood" might have been used to fill the over sized screw holes but in my experience it would have not been an adequate repair as it did not have enough strength.

Is there any modern equivalent which might have a chance of recovering the door?

There is limited depth in the door because the mortise lock occupies much of the thickness of the door so the screws are limited to about 15mm.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
some time ago I came across some old wardrobe doors and removed the blum hinges.
They were not screwed into the wood, but in a plastic insert similar to a very short wall plug.
I removed those as well and used one in a door handle fitted to a cheap hollow door, possibly too high where they missed the reinforced lock bit.
It worked perfectly.

Overdrill hole and fit dowel wrapped in tissue paper and wood repair filler. Drill pilot hole when all is dried out and screw into that. Or an oversize screw might work e.g. 4.5mm in a 4mm screw hole.

Blup

Sponsored Links
...or use some fixings like this (it just needs a couple to make their way past the door latch):

1680797729440.png

Last edited:
Yeah, as above: through bolts sort the problem out.

round rose backplates are a really cr@p idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back